Hei halo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

76 silverado

Reaction score
First Name
Russell
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
I am looking for the ring that goes on the top of the distributor cap.
It holds down the spark plug wires.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Wasn't even aware this was a part. I usually only see those on aftermarket setups like MSD.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I've been trying to remember what the old OEM ones looked like. I'm starting to think they were completely flat, and just a ring that pushed down over the spark plug wires.
I didn't see a point in them as long as you had good wires.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I've been trying to remember what the old OEM ones looked like. I'm starting to think they were completely flat, and just a ring that pushed down over the spark plug wires.
I didn't see a point in them as long as you had good wires.

If they are keyed to install a certain way, it would help prevent wires from being installed in wrong spot on cap.

85c10owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
If they are keyed to install a certain way, it would help prevent wires from being installed in wrong spot on cap.

I beleive its only "keyed" to fit over the coil a certain way, not prevent the wires from being installed in the wrong spot. I just took mine off when I did the tune up. New wires didnt have the nub on the boot for this cap to fit over anyway. There is really no benefit to using it unless you are going for a 100% correct appearance.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I beleive its only "keyed" to fit over the coil a certain way, not prevent the wires from being installed in the wrong spot. I just took mine off when I did the tune up. New wires didnt have the nub on the boot for this cap to fit over anyway. There is really no benefit to using it unless you are going for a 100% correct appearance.

It would keep the wires in correct order if the ring was allowed to hold the wires while removed from cap.

85c10owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
It would keep the wires in correct order if the ring was allowed to hold the wires while removed from cap.

Thats not how it works. You have to remove the ring to unplug the wires from the cap. You could put them in the ring I suppost but that is not the function of the ring AFAIK. I always just mark #1 wire and check the firing order when reinstalling the wires.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I've been trying to remember what the old OEM ones looked like.

You must be registered for see images attach

Yeah - you're right, they are useless without the OEM style plug wires. OEM wires had a little button on the elbow that snapped into the associated holes in the ring.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
rockauto has them dirt cheap, my 79 camaro has one on it first one I've had. It won't go on with my accel wires since they don't have the little cap on top of them at the dizzy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshs74nova