Heater switch box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
350 with 350 Turbo transmission
I need to buy a heater switch assembly for my 81 shortbed. But I have a problem since I do not have any reference as to what goes in this truck. The one that was in my donor cab was UNREADABLE due to moisture or sunlight. I took it out several years ago when the heater stopped working (heater core) and it has since vanished. Now that I have a new heater core I need my controls to operate it properly. I presently am using a toggle switch to operate the fan (apparently 3 speeds) and my fingers to pull the heat control wire/rod things. This below picture (courtesy of incubus2432 and used with permission) is about what I need except for the A/C option. I think mine needs to be similar but with some other option where "A/C" is. LMC has several, but the pictures (and prices) are terrible. So which do I need? And who has one to sell?

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Nice of you to ask about using someone's pic, but I think most of us here actually post our pics to be shared between members, so if it's a pic you want to borrow that's posted here, then you should feel free to borrow it and post it back here when needed without permission.
Could be a different story if you're using the pics to make money, of course we'd want our cut of the profits. :rofl: JK
I have asked permission to use a pic from here before. It was a member who had a Bell Tech 2/4 lowering kit on his truck, and I was selling a Bell Tech 2/4 kit on CL, so I asked if I could post up a pic of his truck as a demo pic of what a truck could look like with the kit installed. I couldn't sell that kit to save my life. Posted the pic of his truck, BAM !! Sold the kit the next day.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
IIRC, the one you're looking for says, OFF HEAT and DEF. That one there seems to be an aftermarket retrofit for someone who might have had AC added and all they probably changed was the badge plate to say AC instead of OFF and made the OFF switch the ON switch for the compressor clutch is going to be my guess.

Are you adding OEM AC? I've got a controller from an 81 GMC C1500, with the AC wiring hanress and the vacuum lines for the controller to the air distributor to opearate the vac diaphrams to open and close the blend and defrost doors.

heavyleft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10/K5
Engine Size
350ci
Here's the one I took out of my 87 if it will work.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
Nice of you to ask about using someone's pic, but I think most of us here actually post our pics to be shared between members, so if it's a pic you want to borrow that's posted here, then you should feel free to borrow it and post it back here when needed without permission.
Could be a different story if you're using the pics to make money, of course we'd want our cut of the profits. :rofl: JK
I have asked permission to use a pic from here before. It was a member who had a Bell Tech 2/4 lowering kit on his truck, and I was selling a Bell Tech 2/4 kit on CL, so I asked if I could post up a pic of his truck as a demo pic of what a truck could look like with the kit installed. I couldn't sell that kit to save my life. Posted the pic of his truck, BAM !! Sold the kit the next day.

It has been my experience on other forums that some members are VERY territorial with their pictures and feel very VIOLATED when people repost theirs without permission. I always ask so as not to cause hard feelings.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
Here's the one I took out of my 87 if it will work.

I sure wish it would work, but it has A/C. I need one like the pictured one that does not have A/C option. I THINK the one I need is something like this:

OFF HEAT DEF
COLD HOT

I am not really sure but pictures of this type would be helpful.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
Cancel heater box order

Well, this order is officially cancelled as of today. When no one came up with the exact one immediately I went on another of my PartsQuests. My string of luck held out too. Unbelievably I found a NOS in-the-box correct-year heater control box! What are the odds? It was cheaper than LMC too! Thanks to all on here who helped!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Where did you find it? :popcorn:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Well, this order is officially cancelled as of today. When no one came up with the exact one immediately I went on another of my PartsQuests. My string of luck held out too. Unbelievably I found a NOS in-the-box correct-year heater control box! What are the odds? It was cheaper than LMC too! Thanks to all on here who helped!

That's great. All I had was the AC one that was pictured and wouldn't work.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
Where did you find it? :popcorn:

At a GM dealership in New Jersey. One of my parts connections pointed me in the right direction today and I ordered it.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
That's great. All I had was the AC one that was pictured and wouldn't work.
It is surprising how many of the 81 82 years parts were stand-alones. The heater controls for my year without A/C are a pain to find. I eagerly await my next PartsQuest for a rare NOS item!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Wow, and OE GM part at that. Very cool !!!

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
IIRC, the one you're looking for says, OFF HEAT and DEF. That one there seems to be an aftermarket retrofit for someone who might have had AC added and all they probably changed was the badge plate to say AC instead of OFF and made the OFF switch the ON switch for the compressor clutch is going to be my guess.

Are you adding OEM AC? I've got a controller from an 81 GMC C1500, with the AC wiring hanress and the vacuum lines for the controller to the air distributor to opearate the vac diaphrams to open and close the blend and defrost doors.

I believe your are exactly right about the aftermarket thing. My donor truck cab had aftermarket A/C and I seem to remember the old ratted-out plate had the A/C where OFF shoulf be. Some mechanic also mentioned this to me about the new faceplates being in the A/C conversion kits.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
Here is the elusive part still in the box! Next up: PartsQuest begins for NOS 85-86 grille and bezels (not on Ebay). I already found some NOS signal lights to put in it, and I will be buying them soon.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Here is the elusive part still in the box! Next up: PartsQuest begins for NOS 85-86 grille and bezels (not on Ebay). I already found some NOS signal lights to put in it, and I will be buying them soon.

Woo Hoo, my mind did work. I was Off, Heat, Defrost. Nice Part, Guard it with your life.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taco main chew