heat question on an 87 thats been converted to carb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
Hi with help from this forum I just finished replacing the heater core in my heater box but haven't installed it back in the truck yet. I removed the evaporator and purchased an ac delete panel from classic industries which I will be installing tommorrow.

My question is that my truck has been converted to a Edelbrock carb setup. I see on the front of the carb there is a vacumm port that has been blocked off and there is no vacumn line hooked up to the valve on the pass side front kick panel. When I got the truck it did not have a thermostat and even though the heater core was hooked up, no heat. My first question is do I need to run a vacumn line to the valve in the kick panel to get my heat to work? Or cool air in the summer? I'm having trouble posting pics but will borrow a couple from the post on replacing the heater core. Thanks in advance

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That is an expensive delete cover. Is there a reason you did not just convert the whole system to a heat only setup? If you use the a/c under dash housing you will need the vacuum hooked up for the controls.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
At the time a buddy of mine was buying a couple of things from classic industries and needed about $200 more to reach $1000. So I bought the ac delete cover and a couple of other things and didn't have to pay any shipping. I called a couple of salvage yards and the only 2 that responded wanted big money. Figured this way would be easier. I have 3 vacumn lines hooked up the two valves in back and the one towards the driver side. I just can't find another one to hook up to the kick panel. I guess I'll look again.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Here is the hookup for the vac hose to the kick panel door. It goes into a tee, one other line running to the control panel and one goes through the upper firewall. I am not sure if the is the vac feed from the motor or going to a fresh air door control servo under the wiper cowl on the pass side.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
At the time a buddy of mine was buying a couple of things from classic industries and needed about $200 more to reach $1000. So I bought the ac delete cover and a couple of other things and didn't have to pay any shipping. I called a couple of salvage yards and the only 2 that responded wanted big money. Figured this way would be easier. I have 3 vacumn lines hooked up the two valves in back and the one towards the driver side. I just can't find another one to hook up to the kick panel. I guess I'll look again.

I got a complete heat only setup out of the pull a part yard to put in mine.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
All of those vac lines under the dash go to the control switch, which has a line runnung out the firewall to a manifold vacuum port, in the #8 intake runner.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
should be a round ball thing underhood the vac. goes to our 86 was that way.

As for heat only setup that requires firewall fab to plug off the a/c hole and then I think th elines come out for the heater core in the wrong spot, not sure on if they blower motor is in the same place or not.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
Thanks for the replies and pics. I was able to find the vacumn line and hook it up to the kick panel. It tee's off and goes into the firewall. I cleaned up the engine bay and found a set of pliers, the fuel line for the missing dr side fuel tank (that will be another post) and a vacumn line from the firewall and hanging by the distributor. I also found another vacumn line coming off the distributor and not hooked up. Tommorrow I am going to pull of the cowl and see if that vacumn line is the one connected to the heater.

I will post some pics when I get it all sorted out

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
The vacume line coming off of the Distributor is For the vacume advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade