Headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph_siller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Headers are a painnnn trying to put some longtubes on my 73 c10 yes it is lowered. pretty low actually want to put longtubes because that just sounds cool and sounds good butttt clearance issuesHad hooker headers on it before weren't as low as the summit ones j got the summit long tubes actually hang lower but don't have any frame rubbing or sparking issues. Does any one what longtubes work function etc best. No clearance issues with frame nor with lowered vehicle don't really want to put Shorty's or midtubes on

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
My 82 C10 with 350 engine has Patriot H8048 long tube headers. They tuck up high, but I needed some Hedman "S" bend extensions, and even had to modify them to get over and under the stock crossmember.

Also, the #2 tube hit the hard lines running along the frame and under the motor mount. I ended up re-bending those lines. Will eventually do a write-up on the headers with more pics and Pertronix/Patriot's response to the clearance issue.

You must be registered for see images

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hey Mike, how bout spark plugs can you run standard length plugs or do you have to use shorty plugs??.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hey Mike, how bout spark plugs can you run standard length plugs or do you have to use shorty plugs??.

Yes, they easily clear standard-size tapered seat plugs and 90 degree plug boots. Even on my Vortec heads with spark plugs located closer to exhaust ports.

I can also get a 1/4" drive 3/8" socket on all but 2 of the header bolts. Was even able to use the same plug wires and routing I used with stock 96-up exhaust manifolds.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yes, they easily clear standard-size tapered seat plugs and 90 degree plug boots. Even on my Vortec heads with spark plugs located closer to exhaust ports.

I can also get a 1/4" drive 3/8" socket on all but 2 of the header bolts. Was even able to use the same plug wires and routing I used with stock 96-up exhaust manifolds.

Thanks good to know, they do look good.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
where did you get your throttle cables?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Looks like Lokar cables.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
where did you get your throttle cables?

Yes, Lokar. Made in Tennessee. I have been using and recommending these brackets and cables for years. Not cheap but well made and versatile.

My truck's original engine was a 250 six, and the OE throttle cable was too short for my 350. After being cut to length, the Lokar cable was a near perfect fit from firewall to throttle pedal. There's a clevis on the throttle pedal end.

Also, most cable brackets are designed to use the 2 rear manifold bolts on a conventional manifold, so wouldn't work with my Vortec manifold.

If the distance from firewall to bracket is too short, and the "S" turn too tight, that will sometimes cause binding. If that's the case, you can keep the cable at its full length and loop it around the distributor. Maybe a little crude, but effective.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DamnTexan77