Headers? worth the effort & cost?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rhett Croley

Reaction score
First Name
Rhett
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I run the Sanderson manifolds on my 496ci. A couple reasons why. First, I've been fighting headers for almost 30 years in several different k10 and K5s I've owned. I've had good results with the Stage 8 locking header bolts but they will still leak eventually. Still the stage 8's are the only way to go, imho, for regular headers. Another trick I learned is to put some anti-seize on both sides of the gaskets. I have always preferred the fel-pro gaskets but I've heard good things about the aluminum gaskets. Second, I went with the Sandersons on because I wanted a quiet cab. My 500hp stroker k5 is quieter inside than my 375hp k10 with traditional headers and I'd go to sandersons on it too but they simply don't make them to fit offset motor mounts like in the 83-91 squares, they only offer the ram-horn style. Basically, I am really happy with my BBC Sandersons. Traditional headers just aren't worth the trouble when you can but high-flow manifolds, install them and never touch them again.

Last edited:

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
So, for the "Chevelle" headers, am I looking for "full-length" headers that tuck close to the engine b/c they were for a car, or do I want mid/shorty/hugger?

My '73 C10 is dropped 4.5/6, and has a column-shift automatic transmission.

I would simplu measure in my engine compartment, but nobody seems to publish the actual sizes of the header assembly. THey spec pipe diameter but I would like to know the distance from the center of flange/manifold to the CL of the collector port.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It's really all trial and error. I've got two trucks with Nova headers. Depending on the brand, they they may have a model that fits both applications, or one for Nova and another for Chevelle. And some brands will have a slightly different layout depending on primary size. But the general consensus is, headers meant for '68-'74 Nova and '68-'72 Chevelle will fit a squarebody truck and tuck up in the frame. But on the other hand, so do some longtube headers meant for a squarebody. The linkage for the shifter may or may not need tweaked. I had to mess with the linkage on one truck, but not the other. Both with headers for '68-'74 Nova. Just different brands.

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Acrtually, Sanderson does have overall dimensions at their own web site.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I forgot to mention, the Hedman Elite headers on my small block truck would have required shifter linkage modifications too, and those are actual truck headers. I installed a cable operated floor shifter instead. But they do tuck up in the frame nicely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoss1