Having Trouble with my holley

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

79 chevyman

Reaction score
First Name
Dominick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 v8
Hi guys, i have a 1979 chevy k10 with a sbc 350 engine nothing crazy just has long tube headers, dual exhuast (2.25") to 3.5" tips. i have a edelbrock performer (not sure what one) and i have a lovely Holley street avenger 4-bbl carb 670 cfm part number 80670-3

So what is going on is whoever i got this truck from back in november never hooked the choke up for me and i didnt have a problem with it till now, I am going thru this truck and have done alot to it and going to keep doing alot to it but this has aggravated me.

I figured out that the choke was left in the on position 24/7 meaning she will start right up but run real rich and cause black soot to be left anywhere my exhuast is. I didnt like that so i went ahead and finally hooked the choke up. my choke spring i believe is broken because i cannot get it to go on they way it should with the tabs up so the mark on the cap alines with the markes for making adjustments. this is an elec choke btw. So i did it the best i could to wear choke is down before i start then after it almost fully opens to where it should.

when choke was left on the truck would run pretty good only spit and sputter from time to time but not too often.

now Truck takes a bit to start tho gotta hammer down for a bit then it will idle fine, go slow she drives fine, go hammer down and balls out she runs fine. try to let off and just cruise she wants to burp and be fuzzy like its not getting enough fuel or to much air? any help will be appreciated!

79 chevyman

Reaction score
First Name
Dominick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 v8
To add to this, i just bought and installed 56$ ac delco spark plugs figured my plugs were shot from running rich and they were. All plugs had oil on the threads, im assuming came from the valve cover gaskets, so im replacing them. I changed my fuel pump and added a mr gasket fuel line assembly with steel braided line and a mr gasket fuel pressure guage that is telling me i have around 6/7 psi going thru. i also checked my floats and they are right on the money.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Have you set your idle bleeds?

79 chevyman

Reaction score
First Name
Dominick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 v8
yeah with truck off, gas will come out only if you rock it like it should right? Don't pour out and there's fuel there ab border line.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Check for vacuum leaks.
Set idle speed.
Adjust timing, if needed.
Adjust idle mixture screws (1/2 turn at a time, pausing in between) for highest vacuum.
Set idle speed again.
Check float level with engine running.

What color is the accelerator pump cam? Orange? Still a #31 pump nozzle?

79 chevyman

Reaction score
First Name
Dominick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 v8
I figured out the problem guys, since we timmed it while choke was in on position and adjusted idle and everything to compensate, i went back and timmed it now that choke works, and it was off by a bit then adjusted floats while it was runnng this time, did mixture screws and seems to run real good now, put some sea foam in her too since she ran rich all that time. Thanks for the input!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef