has anyone installed gearvendors overdrive with there sm465

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
Another pricey option. Seems like a cool idea also. But what happens when you decide to convert to auto trans? The overdrive/underdrive unit can be adapted to about any trans, that one there is only to 4 speeds.

He has a four speed that's why I suggested it. It is pricey but it would be cheaper then a rebuilt 4l80 plus controller. Definitely cheaper then a gear vendor. Dodge had the 46rh that was basically a 727 with an overdrive for gas apps. They later went to the 46re (electronic)

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I say just get you another SM465 and install it backwards then you'll have 4 overdrives.
I've often also wondered why anyone hasn't thought to convert Dodges OD units to fit other applications. It can't be that hard if a company like AdvancedAdapters would make the adapters. Some aren't aware, Dodge didn't really make OD transmissions. Like GM went from Th350 to a 700r4. Dodge kept their same 904 or 727 Torqueflights and just put an OD unit on the back of them with an electronic activation not much different than the lock up TC system and gave it a new model #. So this is my understanding anyway. Haven't looked into it much myself.

I don't know much about them, but there have been an awful lot of 90's Dodge trucks come into the shop and they have goofy shifting automatics. Besides, do you really want a Dodge tranny in your GM?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
He has a four speed that's why I suggested it. It is pricey but it would be cheaper then a rebuilt 4l80 plus controller. Definitely cheaper then a gear vendor. Dodge had the 46rh that was basically a 727 with an overdrive for gas apps. They later went to the 46re (electronic)

I don't know much about them, but there have been an awful lot of 90's Dodge trucks come into the shop and they have goofy shifting automatics. Besides, do you really want a Dodge tranny in your GM?

Oh come on Andy, don't go Dave on me here. Hell no I woudln't put a Dodge trans in my GM. BUT, If there was a way to take the OD unit off the back of the Dodge trans and adapt it to my GM TRANS to where I could have OD with a toggle switch, then YES, I would do that.

I believe Jason knows what I'm reffering to. The OD unit off the back of a 727. I'd use the electronic one and a toggle switch to activate it. Hell doing that, you could even go with like 4.56 gears in the rear, and even use the OD in 1st thru 4th and actually have an 8 speed set up.

Last edited:

thaifighter

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20custom deluxe 16.5 rims
Engine Size
350 sm465/np208
I wasnt aware the torque splitter existed thanks for the link, certainly is something worth looking into some more. one thing I like about that option is there looks to be no electronics but drawback is transfercase shift with both drive shafts to mod . can you give me the options for front drive shaft mod is it just a matter of taking it in to a driveline shop and have it lengthend?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I had forgot all about this being 4x4. That does make the torque spliter alot better option. Should be able to take your shafts to a driveline service and have them cut or lengthened. Actually will give you a better angle in the front too.

thaifighter

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20custom deluxe 16.5 rims
Engine Size
350 sm465/np208
so i went to the link supplied and printed out the install procedure , forgive my ignorance but the is no mention of how the shifting procedure goes is it a matter of going back and forth between the two shifters? and i believe it metioned you can use only stock tranny does that then mean you leave the converter in neutral?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd imagine it's similar to having a 2 speed rearend. I'd probably just keep it at a 1 to 1 ratio, then when I wanted the OD while in 4th gear, shift that shifter to the splitter OD as if it were a 5 speed.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
Like hr said you could leave it 1to1 or play with it and shift in between gears. You would shift it like the tranny. When I had my two piece driveline lengthened, balanced and a new yoke placed it was 150 at place here in wichita. It's called power drive. That probably won't do you any good but it's a reference.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Like hr said you could leave it 1to1 or play with it and shift in between gears. You would shift it like the tranny. When I had my two piece driveline lengthened, balanced and a new yoke placed it was 150 at place here in wichita. It's called power drive. That probably won't do you any good but it's a reference.

And the new yoke was probably a good portion of that expense. If you don't need the yoke, you can likely get it done for less. But do by all means get it balanced. The balancing is worth it's weight in gold for certain.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Oh come on Andy, don't go Dave on me here. Hell no I woudln't put a Dodge trans in my GM. BUT, If there was a way to take the OD unit off the back of the Dodge trans and adapt it to my GM TRANS to where I could have OD with a toggle switch, then YES, I would do that.

I see what you mean now, but I don't think it's simply a unit bolted to an existing tranny. Like when people say a 4l80e is just a th400 with OD added onto the back of it. Or a 4.3 V6 is just a 350 with two cylinders sawed off.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
NO, a 4L80-E is a complete resdesigned transmisison, the OD is internal of the new design. It just shares some of the same hard parts that a Th400 has. The Dodge is litterally the 727 trans with an OD unit hanging off of it like a transfer case I've been told. If it can be unbolted from the 727 Dodge and adapted to a Turbo 350 or Turbo 400 then you'd have OD with the flip of a toggle switch. I'll look into it. I never have before. I do know they get different model #s, so I don't want to be liar or passing on wrong info.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I now see why it won't work. The OD unit is inbetween the output shaft and the tailshaft housing.

You must be registered for see images

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Just get an NV 4500 and call it a day.