Driveshaft angles with Ranger Overdrive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kryptonitekid

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
CK20
Engine Size
I am in the final stages (hopefully) of installing an Advance Adapters Ranger overdrive unit in my '80 K20. It bolts to the stock bell housing in front of the trans and transfer case (SM465 & NP205), and adds 7.5" to the drive train stack. I relocated the cross member accordingly but realized that the additional length jacked up the whole assembly if the cross member is bolted up at the original height, due to the angle at which the engine/trans angles downward. I put about 5/8" of steel spacers between the frame and the driveshaft to lower it which has help somewhat. Then I got to thinking about driveshaft angles, and the transfer case output shaft is at 5 degrees while my rear differential yoke is at 10 degrees. With the crossmember on my floor jack, I lowered it so the cross member was 1 1/2" below the frame rail but this only changed the angle about 1 degree.
Has anybody done such a conversion and/or does anyone know what the factory output shaft angle is supposed to be? I want to get the angles right before I measure to have the driveshaft shortened. I made the mistake of not measuring the angle before I started the project so I don't know if they have to be exactly the same, or if it makes sense to try to put a cardan joint as a part of the drive shaft modification. Also, the rear has 2" cast iron lift blocks that already have an angle built into them but I am not sure how many degrees additional tilt they provide for the rear pinion.
The front drive shaft already has a cardan joint so I am assuming it will be able to handle whatever transfer case angle I end up with.
Also included some pics, not that they are relevant to the driveshaft angle issue. Since the whole assembly moved back 7 1/2", the transfer case shifter ended up under the seat, so I built twin sticks mounted forward of the stock shift lever using heavy 1/4" angle iron on the SM 465 PTO mounts. Now I can use the transfer case low in rear drive only as well as 4 wheel drive.
Any input or recommendations appreciated.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisd9997