Harmonic Vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Hey @Frankenchevy,

Do you notice this vibration at the same RPM when parked?
If only when driving, then after driving feel the hubs. If any hub feels hotter you likely have a bad bearing.
And, refresh my memory, what engine do you have?
I have an L31-R. I check the temp of my hubs pretty much every time I pull up to my front gate because I’m suspicious of them. They’re always cool-barely warm to the touch. I have replaced the front bearings, but haven’t got to the rears yet. The diffential shop said he’d do the rears for only $100 labor more while doing the diff.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Mine has similar vibration with 241, which is similar to 208 Seems like transfer case is in common. Or it's something in the suspension
What in the suspension do you think it could be? I’ll try anything, lol

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Lol, I’m on it!

Does yours have an NP208? I’m wondering about the chain tension...

@bucket , does the truck that you experienced this in have a 208?

Nope, mine is a 2wd C20. BUT, my 208-equipped Suburban did have a minor harmonic vibration like you describe at speeds above 60-ish. But it was only in the winter months, when I would usually drive around with the front hubs locked.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Nope, mine is a 2wd C20. BUT, my 208-equipped Suburban did have a minor harmonic vibration like you describe at speeds above 60-ish. But it was only in the winter months, when I would usually drive around with the front hubs locked.
Gotcha, hence the hub recommendation you made. I’ll try pulling the hub locks tomorrow and make sure they’re unlocking. I’ll also try pulling the front driveshaft.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I'm just tossing things out there (my 2 cents).

Pretty certain my issue is either rear driveshaft or x-fer case chain.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Is this squeaky noise and in/out play normal for a power steering pump?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
There should be no end play whatsoever! That small/forward end of the pulley should be flush with the pump shaft.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
There should be no end play whatsoever! That small/forward end of the pulley should be flush with the pump shaft.
Well I think that may be the source of my vibes. Last night when I got home for work, I fired up the truck and took it for a spin. When I got home, I put it in park revved it to ~2500rpm and sure as hell I felt the vibe. I thought I didn’t feel it in park before, but it’s there.

I pulled the belt and ran it up to the same rpm and it feels smoother. If my buttometer isn’t deceiving me, it must be something in the front drive. That’s the only item with a pulley with any play. I guess I’ll pull it and take it to Napa.

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
Hopefully that will correct the concern. Beats a t-case or differential overhaul$$$

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Well I think that may be the source of my vibes. Last night when I got home for work, I fired up the truck and took it for a spin. When I got home, I put it in park revved it to ~2500rpm and sure as hell I felt the vibe. I thought I didn’t feel it in park before, but it’s there.

I pulled the belt and ran it up to the same rpm and it feels smoother. If my buttometer isn’t deceiving me, it must be something in the front drive. That’s the only item with a pulley with any play. I guess I’ll pull it and take it to Napa.
Are you ******* kidding me? A pulley...:banghead:

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That ain't it. Sorry to be a buzzkill but there ain't enough weight there to make a difference at 2500 rpm. Mine has a little play fore/aft. It would have to be radial play, not end play, to make a difference...or out of round.

That's my theory. Replace it and post back.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That ain't it. Sorry to be a buzzkill but there ain't enough weight there to make a difference at 2500 rpm. Mine has a little play fore/aft. It would have to be radial play, not end play, to make a difference...or out of round.

I'm on the same page here.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small

I'm on the same page here.

Well I’m hoping. The weird thing is it felt as though it smoothed out with the serpentine belt pulled. Either way, it’s a free experiment as Napa is warrantying the pump out due to play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20