Ground help..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Klinthill544

Reaction score
First Name
Klint
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
402 BB
I've been having some electrical issues on my truck. Today I found what looked like a broken ground strap on the frame. I've looked over the motor and don't see any where that it's grounded to the frame. I also can't find any wire that the body is grounded to the frame or motor. Do I need to have both grounded or is this normal? Any advise would be great, thanks yall!

kdo58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
search youtube for 3 grounds, will tell you the best way.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've been having some electrical issues on my truck. Today I found what looked like a broken ground strap on the frame. I've looked over the motor and don't see any where that it's grounded to the frame. I also can't find any wire that the body is grounded to the frame or motor. Do I need to have both grounded or is this normal? Any advise would be great, thanks yall!

Back of the cylinder head to the body is required as is negative battery to alternator bracket.

Its the only two I'm running.

Klinthill544

Reaction score
First Name
Klint
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
402 BB
Thanks for the help guys!

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
All that needs to be grounded. I go from battery to frame, Battery to block and engine block to cab. I add an extra one from bed to frame.

Detail:

From extra wire of neg post battery cable to frame. Battery negative cable connected to block.

Right side valve cover bolt to cab firewall or back of head to cab firewall.

From where the rear light wiring harness grounds to bed to frame.

You could also go from the bottom of the cab to the frame.

Check your existing grounds if any. Most electrical problems are caused by bad grounds.

Klinthill544

Reaction score
First Name
Klint
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
402 BB
All that needs to be grounded. I go from battery to frame, Battery to block and engine block to cab. I add an extra one from bed to frame.

Detail:

From extra wire of neg post battery cable to frame. Battery negative cable connected to block.

Right side valve cover bolt to cab firewall or back of head to cab firewall.

From where the rear light wiring harness grounds to bed to frame.

You could also go from the bottom of the cab to the frame.

Check your existing grounds if any. Most electrical problems are caused by bad grounds.

Just wanted to update.. Grounded my truck like you said and it cured the electrical issues with the gauges, that I was having! Thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beetlejuice01