Green cruise control box do i need it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Just cleaning up my dash wiring and wondering do I need to keep this cruise control box? I have a cable driven speedo and plan on doing a ls swap sometime soon so thats a entire different way of hooking it up. Or will my ecm still need to see the vehicle speed from it? Or see it still hooked up?
Thanks

Attachments

• 16466035042665051015131234940573.jpg
    16466035042665051015131234940573.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 69

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Just cleaning up my dash wiring and wondering do I need to keep this cruise control box? I have a cable driven speedo and plan on doing a ls swap sometime soon so thats a entire different way of hooking it up. Or will my ecm still need to see the vehicle speed from it? Or see it still hooked up?
Thanks
do you plan to use factory cluster or not?
the LS swap is gonna have an ECM with a VSS output, and an LS swap would be best suited to use a gm electronic cruise control which is a standalone box if you have a cable throttle body, I vote you shouldnt worry since you would be doing a lot of extra work to retain outdated factory systems when also trying to do LS Swap

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
That’s the VSS speed buffer. If you plan to keep the factory cruise, your going to need it. If you it a 4L60e behind the LS, you could probably use the speed sensors on the trans. And if your going LS and want cruise, get a aftermarket Rostra setup that uses no vacuum servo.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Ok cool so I don't have to hook it up. I'll keep it around just in case. Or who knows maybe someone will be looking for one. Squarebody stuff around here got crushed so not the easiest to find scrapyard parts. Thanks

And my ls that I have is a drive by wire so cruise control is super easy for it. I'm even gonna use the fasten seat belt light in the dash for when its on.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Ok cool so I don't have to hook it up. I'll keep it around just in case. Or who knows maybe someone will be looking for one. Squarebody stuff around here got crushed so not the easiest to find scrapyard parts. Thanks

And my ls that I have is a drive by wire so cruise control is super easy for it. I'm even gonna use the fasten seat belt light in the dash for when its on.
I would get a custom colored plastic lens or just get a solid color to replace it tho so it doesnt say the seatbelt part lol

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Yeah thats a good idea. I could put a piece of green plastic in there cause new gms the cruise light is green. Paint it black then try to scrape a tack in there or i know somewhere in my garage I got small stickers from my switches one would work or close too. Thanks for the idea

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Hey I found my stickers. I stole the signal light green piece of plastic for the picture but turned out cool. I had to sand the red tint off and the fasten seat belt sign off the plastic to make it work. Should of took a picture of a before. If some ones got one that works can they post it for comparison. Thanks

Attachments

• 20220313_214444.jpg
    20220313_214444.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 74

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Hey I found my stickers. I stole the signal light green piece of plastic for the picture but turned out cool. I had to sand the red tint off and the fasten seat belt sign off the plastic to make it work. Should of took a picture of a before. If some ones got one that works can they post it for comparison. Thanks
Thats creative lol.

You must be registered for see images attach

this is just an idea thrown out there, since i dont know what to google to find the colored plastic the light shines through, you could do a clear cover with a green LED or a bulb wiith one of these.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

heres a fasten seatbelts and a service engine soon (1987)
Thanks for the picture.

Here's a finished product. The green plastic was pretty easy for me, it was remembering to grab one from work was the tough part lol. Anyways its a extra cover for the new code exit lights I install into my buildings. Same plastic as whats in there.

I do remember using those covers back in the day growing up and changing my dash lights to a different color. They has red green and blue if I remember correctly.

Attachments

• 20220321_184745.jpg
    20220321_184745.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 20220321_184753.jpg
    20220321_184753.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 60

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
AWESOME finished project. I need to save this thread for future use lol
Because Fasten seatbelt, choke, 4x4, and brake are on mine. Brake can theoretically be fixed (wiring) and that will tell for the proportioning valve, then park brake can be made into its own separate light with a simple switch and the park brake pedal(easily adapted from other GMs like my first car etc) then 4x4 thats to be seen I guess depends on what the future holds for t case choice.
Then choke can be something, not sure yet. Maybe a coolant light of some kind lol.

So what did you do for stickers you said? Stickers you bought sheets of and used on the green overlay?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Thanks for the picture.

Here's a finished product. The green plastic was pretty easy for me, it was remembering to grab one from work was the tough part lol. Anyways its a extra cover for the new code exit lights I install into my buildings. Same plastic as whats in there.

I do remember using those covers back in the day growing up and changing my dash lights to a different color. They has red green and blue if I remember correctly.
Also are you in Canada? I just noticed your cluster has the moon shapes(French is the reason to not use E and F) and the KM/h is on the outside and mph on the inside.

Also while your cluster is out, you may consider a new front plate and rear "structure" piece because I see one of the ears is cracked and its yellowed. When you replace them, they illuminate much better (you can also paint) and the plastic is renewed for the face plate

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
just chiming in almost 2 years later because someone on a ford thread wanted to make an indicator and really appreciated the photo and the "how" you did it so they are doing it to theirs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scandia