Got an '82 C20... its killing me with electronics issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

javerch11

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Hello,

I am finally working on a 1982 Chevy C20. It runs, drives and honestly is really nice.

This week, I added led headlights to my truck. Didn't know if the old ones were out or what, but no matter what I do, the headlights do not turn on.

I've replaced the headlight switch and dimmer switch. Tried to get the corrosion out of the headlight sockets, and let them wait until I plugged them in again.

Everything I have read so far is saying it could be something with the fusible links. I am fairly mechanically inclined, but no where near inclined enough to understand how electronics work in vehicles.

Any info is always greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Justin

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
LEDs only allow current flow in one direction. Make sure the ground is properly done and that the positive/negative wires are connected properly. Check for voltage at the connections and verify that you have positive to positive, negative to negative.

Welcome to the site.

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Follow your power beginning at the battery and if need be, ending at the switch. On the firewall between the distributor and the power brake booster is a small junction block. It should have two separate posts.
There should be a wire coming up from the starter solenoid to that post. It originally was a fusible link. Check for power. If none, your problem is there. If there is power, follow it thru the firewall to the next point, which should be the switch.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
There aren't any electronics in this truck,except ignition and radio. Everything else on that truck is just basic complete circuits. Battery plus to a component battery minus to the other side Make's a complete circuit. Jumper cables from one car to another, 1 cable on 2nd cable not attached to both batteries. That's an open circuit and nothing happens. Hook up both cables now the circuit is complete and you can jump start the car. Cut one cable in 1/2 now it's open again,nothing happens. Put a switch in that cut, off is now open circuit on is closed circuit. You need to make sure you have hot and ground,all the way to the lights,if not then start backtracking,looking for the cut wire,open switch etc. A burned fuse or fusible link is the same as a cut wire. Open circuit. You can diagnose 99 percent of everything on that truckbwith this knowledge.

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
You can't compare your milage to aTBI truck with O.D. the swirly heads are good for some mpg,the O.D. is good for some more mpg,and the TBI is good for some more mpg. My 350 700r TBI burb would knock down 17 hi way all day long
Lol this go's on a different thread,Now I gotta find it again. Thanks @Turbo4whl

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
The OP started this thread over 5 months ago.. One post and he hasn't been back...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe