Gonna build a trailer...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AaronW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
All:

I chopped off the back end of a 1980 squarebody dually parts truck, gonna make a nice trailer out of it. I'm envisioning the axle location, and how much trailer would be in front of and behind, the axle. You guys got any advice there? Is there a rule of thumb for this, so I get the ideal ratio of trailer in front of and behind the axle, granting that I'll have one dual wheel axle, instead of two single wheel axles?

Aaron

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
If you have too much weight hanging out back, it's gonna track squirrely. Having had a couple of these pickup conversions, my advice is 60/40 - 60% in front of the trailer axle center line and 40% behind. Even if you could get to 50/50, it still won't track right if more weight is behind the axle ever. Try to keep the majority up front, but don't make it so tongue heavy as to make it useless.

Whatcha all think of that synopsis?

Oh, PICTURES!

AaronW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
Yes, will have pictures here before too long. That 60/40 ratio seems reasonable, particualrly since I'd like to be able to hang stuff off the back a ways. I'm probably gooing to end up with a flat deck around 10 or 12 feet long, and I'm likely to haul lumber on it that's 16' or longer, periodically.

Aaron

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Where did you chop the frame at? I got one once 8' GMT400 half ton chassis from a front end wreck. There was enough frame rail in front of the bed to make the V to the hitch. Was an 8' bed and I mounted a coffin lid tool box to the V frame in front of the head board. Was a great trailer, well balanced, towed beautiful.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Kewl! I did a flatbed conversion to an old boat trailer. Like this
You must be registered for see images attach

It runs considerably more than 60/40. You can see what it gets used for so far. I made it to haul 21' sticks of black pipe and tower sections. Keeping it light ;)

AaronW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
Where did you chop the frame at? I got one once 8' GMT400 half ton chassis from a front end wreck. There was enough frame rail in front of the bed to make the V to the hitch. Was an 8' bed and I mounted a coffin lid tool box to the V frame in front of the head board. Was a great trailer, well balanced, towed beautiful.
Just up behind the cab. I'd have like to have taken the cab off, and had more frame, but I was out of time. I'll just have to buy some more c channel, but your idea is exactly what I've got in mind.

Aaron

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Kewl! I did a flatbed conversion to an old boat trailer. Like this

It runs considerably more than 60/40. You can see what it gets used for so far. I made it to haul 21' sticks of black pipe and tower sections. Keeping it light ;)

WERD!!! :favorites37:

I'm getting ready to re-deck mine soon! I run this 80 MPH behind my Tahoe don't even know it is there haha

AaronW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
60/40 minimum is the rule. Keep in mind the weight rating of the hitch/bumper.
Yep. It's gonna run behind my 89 crew cab I've got on the forum here.

Aaron

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obullard74