Going up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Well today i got me some raer springs for my K20. I was wanting a set of leaves i could just add to my front ones to help the sag that we all know they have when they are getting long in the tooth. Well a buddy of mine came through with some rear springs from another sqaure. After doing some measuring they are 56 inch rears out of another 3/4 or ton or burb. So im thinking in the future i may be doing some changing on the front of my sqaure. Ive heard with the DIY4x brackets you can use the 56 springs up front. If thats the truth then ill be doing a 56 swap on the front.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
52in can be used up front by moving the forward spring mounting bracket. What you'll be looking for is a set of half ton rear 52in springs. Don't assume just cuz they come off a half ton they are 52, cuz they come in both sizes for a half ton. Half ton rear springs should work just fine on the front your K20. This will net you a 4in lift. It should also be a much better ride since the springs are longer than OEM.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
I checked the DIY4X and it says you can use the 56 also. I originally wanted a set of 52 but it doesnt matter because right now all im going to do is diassemble them and use some leaves to add to the front that are on there now. Im just trying to get the front lifted about 3 inches for right now. I plan on either getting a lift later or doing the spring swap and shackle flip in the rear.

The reason why i say they are 3/4 springs is they are the same number and width as mine that are in the rear now

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I checked the DIY4X and it says you can use the 56 also. I originally wanted a set of 52 but it doesnt matter because right now all im going to do is diassemble them and use some leaves to add to the front that are on there now. Im just trying to get the front lifted about 3 inches for right now. I plan on either getting a lift later or doing the spring swap and shackle flip in the rear.

The reason why i say they are 3/4 springs is they are the same number and width as mine that are in the rear now

hmmm, I'll have to look into that one too. Wasn't aware of the 56 set up. If it's the same way, then that would give even more lift wouldn't it? :shrug: Have you got a link to that?

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
The B52 brackets allow the use of either 52's or 56's, placement of the rear shackle hanger also comes into play with respect to which length you use and shackle angle.

One thing to consider with the 56's is the center pin is offset 4", whereas the 52's are centered.

You gain about 3"~4" of additional lift (depending on spring condition) using either length. Of course, as stated, you'll gain even more lift if you were to use the full 56" pack since it has more leaves.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
http://diy4x.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&path=24&product_id=121

If it doesnt show up its in the comments that they say you can use the 56
Thanks for the link, I"ll be checking it out.
The B52 brackets allow the use of either 52's or 56's, placement of the rear shackle hanger also comes into play with respect to which length you use and shackle angle.

One thing to consider with the 56's is the center pin is offset 4", whereas the 52's are centered.

You gain about 3"~4" of additional lift (depending on spring condition) using either length. Of course, as stated, you'll gain even more lift if you were to use the full 56" pack since it has more leaves.

Thanks for adding that tidbit. I'd be doing the 52in for 2 reasons, keeping centered, and more comfy ride. I hear with 52in half ton srpings the ride up front is not much worse than OEM wo a lift, but if you use an aftermarket springs lift kit you can get beat to death. And 4in is about all I'd need, so that and the low cost is why I think I'm going this direction when I get ready to pull the trigger. I don't care for body lifts, but I want to replace the body mount bushings, so I'm thinking might as well go ahead with a reasonable 2in body lift too for a total of 6in. Still not sure on the body lift though.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Lifted 52's are bad at all, I've got 2.5" lift 52's on the front of my K5. Granted I haven't driven it much, maybe 25~30 miles but it's pretty soft and doesn't feel anything like the standard 8" lift springs I had on my old truck.

Fwiw, my 2.5" lift 52's ended up giving me the equivalent of about 7" lift.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I was under the impression that 56's were just too long and flexy for regular street driving. That, and you really need to run crossover steering, a long slip front shaft, tall shock towers, long travel shocks, and make some good bump stops.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Well with me living in NorthWest Arkansas we have some pretty nice trails and offraod parks around so if i do the 56 swap and she gets good and flexy i might be able to follow some of these damn jeeps everybody has up here lol. For right now i just want to go from negative arch to positive arch so i can get the steering wheel lined back up. It adjusted all the way in and wont line up and if i go the other way it flips it upside down. I only have about 4 inches between the bumpstops and the spring plates. Itll be nice to get the front end p so i dont have the hotrod race car look with the assend all jacked up in the air and the nose low to the ground.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76