GMC vs. CHEVROLET

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I have noticed that GMC seemed to be more "commercial use" geared.
Like work trucks, tow trucks, fire trucks, chassis models, work vans, school buses, box trucks, big rigs, etc. Seems like more of them are GMC than Chevy. Chevy was more the everyday joe do anything type of brand, between cars and trucks. That's my take.
Love them both equally though.
Hah, i always kinda had this same view, that's why I generally gravitated towards Chevy (let the record show I have owned two GMC including my current work truck, and 5 Chevy, so not like I hate one and love the other or anything). I was honestly surprised when I finally got old enough to realize GMCs were more expensive than Chevys new, when I was a kid I knew several people that scored a cheap GMC and swapped the grille/gate/ horn button to Chevy stuff with only a dash emblem to give them away. You're right, GMC was seen as more "industrial/commercial" looking truck, and that's why most guys I knew didn't like them, nobody wanted to be seen in a basic utilitarian vehicle the Chevy had more "style", that's why houses in the suburbs aren't concrete rectangles like buildings in the city. Commercial buildings are more practical and economical to upkeep, but they look plain and uninspiring. Not saying GMCs are bad looking trucks, in a few of the newer generations I'd even say they look better, but overall I always got the feeling they paid less attention to the style of the GMCs because people who need a work truck generally don't care as much about styling as the ability to get stuff done, so that left Chevy being a more "handsome" appearance package.

Last edited:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I prefer zero car notes but recognize the offset to that with our ragtag aging fleet is car repair bills.

But, its not every month nor guaranteed for a minimum of 5 years, so there is that.
The other thing to consider is insurance and licensing costs on a new rig vs old one. In the end it's a trade off on way or the other.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
To my knowledge, once the squares came along, they were all the same with just trim/grille/name differences and have been that way ever since. I was always told that for '67-72, GMCs came standard with leaf springs in the rear and coil spring/truck arms were optional whereas Chevy was the opposite, since the GMC had the workhorse image. Also in '67-72, the GMCs had a unique front bumper with reliefs cut in it for the marker lights that were below the headlights.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
To pretend that there are any meaningful differences in the last 50 years, save for badging/trim/front clip appearance (all depending in year and model) is silly.

ulm4lyf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande 15
Engine Size
I bought my 2021 GMC because I felt that they looked so much better than the Chevys. Also, at the time only GMC had the multipro tailgate.

Midnightmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I bought my 2021 GMC because I felt that they looked so much better than the Chevys. Also, at the time only GMC had the multipro tailgate.

No offense to anyone that owns an modern Chevy. But, I can't figure out how they can make the current GMC such a good looking truck and the new Chevy......well, not so attractive.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
In the case of 73-87 trucks, grilles, emblems, and tailgate stamping. The same can can be said about the GMT400 trucks aside from tailgate stamping.

GMT800 and later trucks had more unique differences.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
The three letters on a GMC are fun for acronym jokes.

"God's Mechanical curse."
"Gotta Mechanic coming?"
"Gay Man's Choice/Chevrolet."

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Personally, GM hasn't made a truck I've liked since the '07 Classic went away :hidesbehindsofa:
I cannot agree on this one. My '07 Classic LBZ 2500HD was a Monster. That truck moved everything I hooked it to and served me well. But I loved the look of the '17 to '19 2500HD and my '19 is a better tow vehicle in every way. More power, better fuel mileage and a much better chassis. I do miss not dealing with a DPF, regen mode and DEF though.

The day I traded my faithful '07 in on my '19:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I drive Chevrolet because GMC stands for Get More Cash.
GMC-Gay Man's Chevy :laughing1:Personally, I'm a Chevy guy. I've always liked the look of the grilles better, especially the new vehicles. The GMC's grilles look like large mouths, kinda like Toyota's do. Also, try $70k+ for a new truck, my new High Country gasser was $72k! :(

Attachments

• Adjusted.jpg
    Adjusted.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 20220711_174704.jpg
    20220711_174704.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 40

StickyLifter

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Screw You Homophobes
Truck Year
N/A
Truck Model
N/A
Engine Size
N/A

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I always thought GMCs had a a little more creative styling. The 67-72 trucks had a cool and distinctive "4 eye" look, and the squares always seemed to have more detailed grilles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snoblind