GM performance motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shawn Cribbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
so my K5 has had a swap
It’s a GM performance engine
How do I figure out what it is ?
It has a plate on the passenger side but I’m not able to get a good view
Any ideas?

You must be registered for see images attach

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
so my K5 has had a swap
It’s a GM performance engine
How do I figure out what it is ?
It has a plate on the passenger side but I’m not able to get a good view
Any ideas?

Is that a hencho e Mexico for the US engine? Can’t really read all of it but the wording makes it seem like it was built else where then here but for here.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
It says made in the U.S. so that's a good sign. I looked that number up (12196968) but it didn't turn anything up. I think that's what it said - a little hard to see. It looks like it's trying to tell you the number of main bearing caps on there (2 or 4) so there's probably more useful information on that tag. The only other thing would be to look at head and block casting numbers, but if it's bored, has bigger pistons or different than stock pistons, a different crank, head work, etc., those numbers will only give you a baseline. Do you have access to a borescope to get a better look at the tag?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Those Heche En Mexixo engines get a bad wrap from back in the day when TargetMaster was the GM Remanned 350 and were problematic. The several that I know of with Heche En Mexico engines have all been very good. 4 bolt blocks, powder metal rods, nodular cast iron cranks and the later 882 heads that aren't notorious for cracking.

Can you not reach your cam up in there and hold it back a bit and take a shot in the dark to be able to download that label and then read it? That's how I get to read many casting #'s that are back of the block on the driver side where you can't read it between the block and the firewall. Carefully position a cam and gets pics of it, then put it on your computer and read it.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Ahh, dammit. I was one number off. I see how it's a four now.

Shawn Cribbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Man this group is Awesome!
I’m learning so much so fast
I really appreciate the help

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
It says made in the U.S. so that's a good sign. I looked that number up (12196968) but it didn't turn anything up. I think that's what it said - a little hard to see. It looks like it's trying to tell you the number of main bearing caps on there (2 or 4) so there's probably more useful information on that tag. The only other thing would be to look at head and block casting numbers, but if it's bored, has bigger pistons or different than stock pistons, a different crank, head work, etc., those numbers will only give you a baseline. Do you have access to a borescope to get a better look at the tag?
it says manufactured for GM in USA is that made in USA or is it made somewhere else for GM for USA use?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Looks like the same tag that's on the 454 I put in my truck. If so, it says REmanufactured for General Motors. And the numbers below it state the over/under sizes of the bored and bearings. The PO of my engine got it from some van-based rv.

Also, the 330 horse crate engine was never a reman engine as far as I'm aware. Just new castings. It replaced the 300 horse engine, the biggest difference in the new version is vortec heads.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
it says manufactured for GM in USA is that made in USA or is it made somewhere else for GM for USA use?

I see what you're saying. It seems like if it was done here, they'd just come right out and say it instead of stylizing it that way so I'm sure you're right.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
So what heads are on this thing? Looks like late model head bolts that would be used on a crate engine with vortec heads.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Vortex cast iron heads according to the sheet
Here's what Vortecs look like:

You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

Also, I can't quite tell, but if the numbers on the side of the block are 880, there's a very good chance it's drilled and tapped for OE roller cam and lifters, even if it currently has a flat tappet cam.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64