Glove box is a bear to open...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Corpse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ramon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
So the locking/latching mechanism works by itself but the entire assembly spins in place when its open. And when its closed instead of releasing the latch it twists...
Seems as if a detent is missing like the ones on the door locks but it much be a different style.

Anyone had this problem before?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Chevyguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 Litre
So the locking/latching mechanism works by itself but the entire assembly spins in place when its open. And when its closed instead of releasing the latch it twists...
Seems as if a detent is missing like the ones on the door locks but it much be a different style.

Anyone had this problem before?

Thanks

Sounds like you need to get another whole assembly. I had to do this twenty years ago when I had my 73 K-5 Blazer. I got one from a wrecking yard and took it to my neighborhood locksmith who cleaned it and rekeyed it for me.

Clayton

Corpse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ramon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
I can't imagine why i would need a whole new assembly. Everything works it just needs some tension to hold it to the glovebox.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
This is all I have to offer, haven't really looked at mine...

attachment.php

Attachments

• super_glue.jpg
    super_glue.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 195

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
The lock nut in post 11 in the above mention thread needs to be tightened. Use that thread and put a little blue lock tight on the locknut threads and you should be go to go. I don't remember seeing any kind of keyway on the glove box door for the lock to fit into to help hold it in place. I have a door at home without the lock if you want a picture of the lock hole.

Bfortune1000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
mines been ******* me over to when i unlock it it falls on the floor and it is so god damn hard to get back closed have to get perfect angle and slam it

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
mines been ******* me over to when i unlock it it falls on the floor and it is so god damn hard to get back closed have to get perfect angle and slam it

Sounds like time for a new glove box.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
350 with 350 Turbo transmission
Does anyone if the glove box replacement from LMC are worth the buy? Or are the hinges cheap brittle plastic like the factory ones?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Does anyone if the glove box replacement from LMC are worth the buy? Or are the hinges cheap brittle plastic like the factory ones?

Do yourself a favor and upgrade to a steel or brass hinge from Home Depot, there is a write up in here somewhere about it.

RETRO MODS ROCK

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
350 with 350 Turbo transmission
I already did that with cabinet-type hinges but I was hoping for something better. It seems odd to me that LMC has not come up with just such a hinge upgrade for these glove boxes considering just how sorry and cheap that they originally were. Before I fixed mine whenever I would open it that glove box would take a swan dive to the floorboard and infuriate me every time. I sometimes wonder how many years those cheap plastic "hinges" would average before breaking.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
I already did that with cabinet-type hinges but I was hoping for something better. It seems odd to me that LMC has not come up with just such a hinge upgrade for these glove boxes considering just how sorry and cheap that they originally were. Before I fixed mine whenever I would open it that glove box would take a swan dive to the floorboard and infuriate me every time. I sometimes wonder how many years those cheap plastic "hinges" would average before breaking.

My 84 and 87' are both going strong, hinge-wise.

rainyraven

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 cheyenne
Engine Size

I think they work ok but normally people over open them.. and when somebody does that a few times it can be the death of the plastic factory hinge
I did just find one on the donor truck I got and I put it on.. so far its good.. I might regret this view point latter if it breaks since I had a metal one somebody made

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI

I bought the replacement GB liner from LMC. Just like OE, it uses a plastic hinge. Also bought a new lock, from Classic though, came pre-assembled with new keys. Those things can be a MF'er to install.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tazdar