Gauge issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThisOldK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350
So I took out my cluster today to replace my bulbs with LEDs and I noticed a weird issue. Even with regular bulbs it did this: when the lights are off the gauges work fine, when the running lights are on, the dash lights and gauges work fine, but as soon as I turn the headlights on I lose the gauges and gauge lights. But not my dummy lights, only my speedo and fuel gauge. My heater light stays on. Its very weird. So should I be trying to find a new cluster?

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
First, check that the ground is in place from the engine to the cab. The frame, the engine, and the cab are all connected to each other with rubber mounts, so there have to be ground connections. The frame is connected with a smaller ground wire that comes off the battery. The engine is connected with the large ground wire that comes off the battery and connects to the alternator bracket. But the cab has to be connected too. There should be a ground strap from the rear outer valve cover bolt on the passenger side of the engine to the firewall just behind it. These are often left off when people replace engines, and the lack will cause all kinds of electrical gremlins, particularly in the cluster.

ThisOldK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350
First, check that the ground is in place from the engine to the cab. The frame, the engine, and the cab are all connected to each other with rubber mounts, so there have to be ground connections. The frame is connected with a smaller ground wire that comes off the battery. The engine is connected with the large ground wire that comes off the battery and connects to the alternator bracket. But the cab has to be connected too. There should be a ground strap from the rear outer valve cover bolt on the passenger side of the engine to the firewall just behind it. These are often left off when people replace engines, and the lack will cause all kinds of electrical gremlins, particularly in the cluster.

I'll check this out after work. Thanks! I did replace plugs/wires/etc at the same time so I may have knocked it loose.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
as soon as I turn the headlights on I lose the gauges and gauge lights. But not my dummy lights, only my speedo and fuel gauge. My heater light stays on.

By this, are you saying that you do not have a gauge package? In other words, other than a gas gauge (which all instrument panels have), do you have any other gauges?

A gauge package includes three variable indications (dials with needles) for - oil pressure, coolant temperature and system voltage.

A base instrument panel does not have these three variable indicators. It just uses warning lamps to alert the operator when problems exist.

Are these warning lights what you are referring to by "dummy lights" (AKA idiot lights)?

It's confusing, because you say the headlights knock out the "the gauges and gauge lights. But not my dummy lights".

I don't believe any instrument panel is equipped with both gauges and warning lights.

I only ask these questions because I need to know the instrument panel type before looking at the schematics:

You must be registered for see images attach

ThisOldK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350
as soon as I turn the headlights on I lose the gauges and gauge lights. But not my dummy lights, only my speedo and fuel gauge. My heater light stays on.

By this, are you saying that you do not have a gauge package? In other words, other than a gas gauge (which all instrument panels have), do you have any other gauges?

A gauge package includes three variable indications (dials with needles) for - oil pressure, coolant temperature and system voltage.

A base instrument panel does not have these three variable indicators. It just uses warning lamps to alert the operator when problems exist.

Are these warning lights what you are referring to by "dummy lights" (AKA idiot lights)?

It's confusing, because you say the headlights knock out the "the gauges and gauge lights. But not my dummy lights".

I don't believe any instrument panel is equipped with both gauges and warning lights.

I only ask these questions because I need to know the instrument panel type before looking at the schematics:

When I say dummy lights I mean idiot lights lol. Sorry. And yeah I have the base cluster, with idiot lights for oil, voltage, etc. I said gauges referring to Fuel and speedometer. And by gauge lights I mean the lights that make the gauges visible at night. But its a base cluster.

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350

my battery ground bolts to the front of my block, is that wrong? should i move it to the alternator bracket?
also, I dont think i have the valve cover ground to the cab, ill have to get one of those... tia

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
my battery ground bolts to the front of my block, is that wrong? should i move it to the alternator bracket?
also, I dont think i have the valve cover ground to the cab, ill have to get one of those... tia

Front of the block is fine.

All the cab ground needs to be is a one-foot piece of 12 AWG stranded with large crimp eyes on either end. Here is where it goes. To the back of the head is even better if you can reach around behind there.

ThisOldK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350
Front of the block is fine.

All the cab ground needs to be is a one-foot piece of 12 AWG stranded with large crimp eyes on either end. Here is where it goes. To the back of the head is even better if you can reach around behind there.

I'll have a look tomorrow but I don't think I have that strap.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
my battery ground bolts to the front of my block, is that wrong?

I think that the block is a better place to connect it - creates a slightly more direct path back to the battery for the trucks grounding circuits.

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
Ok cool thanks! Yeah i def need to get the valve cover to cab one then, with all the stuff going wrong right now, electrical issues would push me over the edge lol. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP