Gauge/Idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shawn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350; 700R4
Well, now I'm starting to get pissed. Fuse blew again today on the way home. Nothing out of the ordinary happened, it worked on the same road on the same trip last night and this morning, but blew tonight.

I guess I'll try the brake switch next?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Well, now I'm starting to get pissed. Fuse blew again today on the way home. Nothing out of the ordinary happened, it worked on the same road on the same trip last night and this morning, but blew tonight.

I guess I'll try the brake switch next?

Yup...what are the specific conditions when this happens....speed?

Shawn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350; 700R4
Yup...what are the specific conditions when this happens....speed?

I feel like I was going about 40/45mph up the hill, but I did that yesterday too.

Shawn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350; 700R4
I pulled the dash cluster to see if I could spot anything crazy. It all seemed fine. I'll try the brake switch next.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
This seems all too familiar. Jim, remember my fuse blowing trying to pull those codes? I think it was the same fuse he keeps losing. I could be wrong. My brake switch wiring was hacked up too. Somebody tapped into it to install one of those trailer brake controllers. I still haven't figured out why my fuse is blowing out.

Shawn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350; 700R4
This seems all too familiar. Jim, remember my fuse blowing trying to pull those codes? I think it was the same fuse he keeps losing. I could be wrong. My brake switch wiring was hacked up too. Somebody tapped into it to install one of those trailer brake controllers. I still haven't figured out why my fuse is blowing out.

I did have a trailer brake. Took it off when I removed the improperly attached tow hitch.

Last edited:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI

It blew when you grounded the lockup wire. when he unplugs the brake switch prong with the purple wires, that will disable the lockup, which is on that fuse also.

Shawn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350; 700R4
It blew when you grounded the lockup wire. when he unplugs the brake switch prong with the purple wires, that will disable the lockup, which is on that fuse also.

Hope to have time to mess with it tomorrow. Went to my parents' house to help repair the deck today.

I paid attention to everything while I drove it today (no fuse blew) and it seemed to shift into OD just fine at about 40-45.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
My next thought is maybe there is a hot wire grounding in the converter lock up circut that may be making contact intermittently.

Shawn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350; 700R4
My next thought is maybe there is a hot wire grounding in the converter lock up circut that may be making contact intermittently.

So how do I find that?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
So how do I find that?

With the next step...unplugging the brake switch. you will cut power to the lockup system.

Shawn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350; 700R4
With the next step...unplugging the brake switch. you will cut power to the lockup system.

How far is it cool to drive unplugged?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
How far is it cool to drive unplugged?

There are a lot of guys that run with no lockup at all. But I would consult HR about it. Lockup is for mpg, and to lower temps in the trans from what I understand.

Shawn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350; 700R4
So... Yesterday I cleaned these grounds, took off this 6-pronged connector, reattached it, ensured my gauge cluster was properly attached, and cleaned a pink/black wire plugged into the fuse box...

Fuse Haden's blown in 2 days which hasn't ever happened since it started. Does that 6-pronged connection have to do with the gage/idle fuse at all or am I just dreaming?

You must be registered for see images attach

4speedburb

Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Suburban
Engine Size
im having the same issue, ive had the issue before, then it stopped, and now im having it happen again, and i have no idea what it could be this time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1