Gasket options for resealing 383 SBC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K10eddie

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Howdy,

So my 383 that I bought used about a year ago has been sweating and burning a lot of oil. About a 1qt a month, it's been slowly disappearing coolant as well. I noticed some head bolts have backed out as well, hence I assume how the coolant has been ghosting on me. I'm thinking about pulling the engine, tearing it down to a short block, and resealing it (probably arp head studs too).

My question is this, should I just get a fel pro generic 350 gasket kit, toss the head gaskets and buy new ones specifically for my 383? Or is there a smarter way to put together a kit? I tried looking for a 383 kit, but most places only 350 kits pop up.

The engine is almost 10 years old, but it has been in a summer only 1st gen Camaro for those 10 years. It's a Smeding 383 extreme if it matters. It's still a good running engine, but it just burns and leaks way too many fluids. I bought it from my buddy last year for a good deal, knowing that it did burn oil, but of course the leaks start happening 6 months after I bought and installed it. Hindsight is awesome.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Cometic, expensive but worth it. MLS head gaskets are the way to go.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
It is still 350 engine as far as seals are concerned. Just matters if one or two piece seal, type of heads and the intake port design

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Ya i've never heard of a "383" head gasket? Rather than pull the entire engine, I would swap the head gaskets for some standard replacement Fel-Pros OTC at the O'Reilly's or something WAY before I spent 4x that much on a pair that says "Cometic" on em...if you tell everybody else that's what you used, nobody will ever know, including the engine. I think TEN YEARS in a weekend hotrod is sufficient service...replacement is a fine chore, old boy. :grd:

You must be registered for see images attach

K10eddie

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Pulling the engine sounds like a lot of work, but I figure it'd almost be easier to pull it to make quick work of the gaskets and head pulling. MLS gaskets aren't what I was really going for, the compression is under 10:1, and it's a mostly winter and then secondary vehicle. However thanks for all the responses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69