Gas gauge reads max 1/2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rdjimenez92

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So is replaced the FSU and shot for power at the plug. I get 5vdc. From my understanding it’s a 12v circuit which makes sense that with 5v a full tank reads half. But I can’t seem to track where it’s dropping. I’m thinking in the fuse box since I have 12v going in but I’m looking for other suggestions

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Your not giving a lot of info,
Single tank or two tanks? Does it on both or just one? Did this occur with the old sending unit?

Regardless I think you need to test the gauge. Standard testing is unplug the sending unit wire, turn the key on. The gauge should read well past full to somewhere around the 3 o'clock position. Now ground it out, with it grounded out the gauge should hit E, or close to it. Run a wire directly from the negative on battery or clean up a spot of bare metal on the frame do NOT use the gas tank or the gas tanks ground wire. If the gauge works as it should look for a bad ground wire off the gas tank. If the the ground wire looks good clean up both ends of the wire, you need bare metal, good connectors, and good wire. Put a little dielectric grease on those connections so they keep working good for a long time to come. If none of those are your problem then you got a defective sending unit. Remember that even though new should mean good it doesn't always. We have had good luck with Spectra sending units at the shop. Good luck, it's a pretty simple system and I'm sure you'll have the issue isolated in no time.

I've never seen a fuse box or power supply issue causing what you describe, obviously that doesn't mean it isn't possible I'm just mentioning that. The sending unit is nothing more than a variable resistor and is suppling a varied ground to that (typically) pink wire on the sending unit.

rdjimenez92

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It’s a single tank. It was the same with the old FSU. Is not the new one before I put it in and it goes from 0-90ohms. It’s grounded through my after market gauges which It was happening before. Grounded out it does the same thing. It for sure is not getting enough power but I can’t seem to find where it is dropping at which is why I think it’s in the connections of my fuse box. I have also ran a new wire from my FSU to the engine side of my fuse box. Thanks

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
It’s a single tank. It was the same with the old FSU. Is not the new one before I put it in and it goes from 0-90ohms. It’s grounded through my after market gauges which It was happening before. Grounded out it does the same thing. It for sure is not getting enough power but I can’t seem to find where it is dropping at which is why I think it’s in the connections of my fuse box. I have also ran a new wire from my FSU to the engine side of my fuse box. Thanks
I'm not sure I can be of much help to you then, other than to say look at wiring diagrams and trace wiring but not sure how much has been changed with the aftermarket gauge setup. I pretty much spilled what I know in my previous post.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Mine did the same thing and I had the tank dropped and a new unit installed in the tank. The float was shot after 40 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sahara