Gargage heating ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hey guys so this past spring i started to rent out an old dairy barn that was convert in too "garage space". basicly its a 3 car garage with one garage door. about 8 ft tall ceilings. currently me and the guy i rent it with are using a trash can heater 200,000 BTU heater and it works ok.. but we are looking for better heat sorce that will be more efficent and get the whole place wamer. i live in western new york so it gets cold.

I am looking for any ideas for more powerfull heat. please include pics if you have them.

thanks

'Liam

83K5guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
You ever look at the wood stoves from harbor freight. The reviews look good. And it seems pretty durable.

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
i have but the owner doesnt want wood burners due to fir hazzards

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I'm in the same boat I need something that not flammable around gas and spray paint fumes.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Kerosene bullet heater.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
How about a used oil burner. The oil yo take out of cars from oil changes it burnes that and does a helluva job heating shops and if you do enough oil changes can be free to run

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
How about a used oil burner. The oil yo take out of cars from oil changes it burnes that and does a helluva job heating shops and if you do enough oil changes can be free to run

What about lawnmower oil? Where you buy the oil burner at?

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
how would i go at making an oil burner? i had those in the shops i worked at, they do work nicely

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
how would i go at making an oil burner? i had those in the shops i worked at, they do work nicely

I saw a home made one that was made out of 50 gallon drums but it required a raging wood fire to get everything hot enough to burn the oil, so that wont work for you.

Like John mentioned, the little torpedo heaters work great. We used to fill them with diesel instead of kerosene since its basically the same ****.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
What about lawnmower oil? Where you buy the oil burner at?
NAWWWWWW dave, lawn mower oil isnt the same, it wont burn cause its not petrolume:Violin:

I saw a home made one that was made out of 50 gallon drums but it required a raging wood fire to get everything hot enough to burn the oil, so that wont work for you.

Like John mentioned, the little torpedo heaters work great. We used to fill them with diesel instead of kerosene since its basically the same ****.

yep the tporpedo heaters work great, but running diesel is acceptable BUT it does put off more smoke and fumes then keroseen

83K5guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
I figure a torpedo heater is just as dangerous if not more than a wood burning stove. Imo

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
For a fire you need heat, fuel and oxygen. Key word is heat, so any heater you use can start a fire. A pile of oily rags is supposed to be enough to start a fire. Key word here is Heat, any heater hast the potential to start a fire if not used right. Big shops i have been in have electric/propane heaters mounted in the ceiling but I dont think you want to spend that much on something you are renting.

The most common home owner shop heater I have seen is a 55 gallon drum that converted into an enclosed heater with a fan that blows the warm air out around the shop, so far no ones shop has burned down.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
I am wanting to build a rocket stove for my shop, and I also want to build my own solar heat collector on the south wall..

builditsolar.com has DIY solar heat panels you can build pretty low buck. Basically a box painted black inside with a glass front on the south side of your building with a fan that blows air through it, activated by a tempurature control. More complex than this of course, and some are as efficient as comercial ones that cost lots of $$$..

Rocket stove is a very efficient mass heater that a person can build themselves.

http://www.richsoil.com/rocket-stove-mass-heater.jsp

That's my plan anyways.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
NAWWWWWW dave, lawn mower oil isnt the same, it wont burn cause its not petrolume:Violin:

Why isnt it? So 30w or 10w-30 or 5w 30 that walmart sells in the auto dept wont work? Thats whats used in lawnmowers and snowblowers.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
ouch you believed him HE WAS JOKING all cheapo oil is dino based

Forum statistics