Full tilt front end.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
Thank you guys for the compliments!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'll be keeping my out for one of those motors. Honestly, I wasn't aware they existed. So being that it was originally in a Chevy step van, does this mean it already has the Chevy Bell housing or did you have to use an adapter? How about electronics? Is this electronics motor or non???

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
I'll be keeping my out for one of those motors. Honestly, I wasn't aware they existed. So being that it was originally in a Chevy step van, does this mean it already has the Chevy Bell housing or did you have to use an adapter? How about electronics? Is this electronics motor or non???

Well just for starters this is a very expensive engine for a rebuild. My kit alone was 700 bucks. About 1400 if you go to cummins for their gold plated kits. In the GM step vans they come with a 400 turbo and a Chevy adapter. They also use a chevy alternator and starter. There is a 10 degree tilt so you will have to run the engine sideways. There is a ford version that is usually mated to t19. There is a rare gm manual version that mates to sm465. I would not run this engine without an overdrive personally because of it's narrow bandwidth. Some guys run 700r4's but you can't turn the power up to much without bombing even a moderately built one. These engines make a lot of torque off idle. You will also have to have a special adapter for the torque converter. The rpm range is totally different then a 6.2 so you have to play with the weights of the governor. I originally used the burb's 4l60 and it was a pain in the ass to get the thing to shift right.
Full electronic is the way I would do it with a 4l80e and a optishift controller for an automatic. Anyway all the options that are available for the 6bt are available for the 4bt. Mine is a non electronic ve pump. There is p pump 130 hp version. That one is non electronic. Then the isb170. It is 170 hp 410 ft/lbs common rail. There are other varying non automotive versions. Steer clear unless you wanna dump a bunch of money.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
Sorry if I got a little long winded.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Being longwinded isnt so bad atleast we get all of the info and not bits n pieces

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sorry if I got a little long winded.

:rofl: You're responding to the long winded King on this forum. Just ask anyone. :High 5:

Like you, I think Id be better off to try and find a complete Van. Keeping an eye out for one that has been rolled at Copart, I might get it cheap. Damn, I need to make more cash. To many things I want to do with my trucks.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
:rofl: You're responding to the long winded King on this forum. Just ask anyone. :High 5:

Like you, I think Id be better off to try and find a complete Van. Keeping an eye out for one that has been rolled at Copart, I might get it cheap. Damn, I need to make more cash. To many things I want to do with my trucks.

I know the feeling about wanting to do to much to these vehicles. Just an FYI. These stepvans are all aluminum bodies and if you cut out all the steel you can scrap them for .45 cents a pound right now in Wichita. Prices varies with city and time of the month... Lol

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Yea prices vary city to city and month to month just like a woman lmao

:roflbow::roflbow::roflbow:

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
Still buttoning things up!
You must be registered for see images attach

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yah, that's an understatement. :grd: :Moon:

I forgot about the battery relocation, sucks it had to go inside the passenger compartment. Are you going to be running the a/c system on this?

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
Yah, that's an understatement. :grd: :Moon:

I forgot about the battery relocation, sucks it had to go inside the passenger compartment. Are you going to be running the a/c system on this?

Definitely keep the ac. My compressor went out. Something else to replace!

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
Looking like a shadow of it's former self.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
You guys haven't seen this shifter my dad and I made.
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Have you said what year step vans this set up is from??? I'm thinking the ultimate set up with this would be, low rear gears, like 4.10's, the 4BT and a 4L80-E with OD cuz I'm sure this diesel like most, don't like high RPM's. But imagine the torque with the 4.10's and motor putting out 410 ft lbs. You can get a stand alone OEM computer for the 4L80-E that came behind the 6.5. IIRC, and someone can correct me if wrong, 92 and 93 year model 3/4 and 1 tons got it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigcreek