Full removable top conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NewKidOldSoul

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Has anyone ever heard of or even seen an 80s blazer conversion to a complete removable
Top from 73-75? I was thinking this may be possible if you swapped the doors also.
I'm new to the page as a member but frequent the threads online to find out information.

Thanks
Adam

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
Has anyone ever heard of or even seen an 80s blazer conversion to a complete removable
Top from 73-75? I was thinking this may be possible if you swapped the doors also.
I'm new to the page as a member but frequent the threads online to find out information.

Thanks
Adam
I just sold a '74 that used a '77 tub. The windshield pillars had been grafted and the rear roof of the cab removed. It worked and was not that noticeable. I wish they had used a newer tub that actually had floor relief for people's feet. I believe that was started in '78 though. Welcome to the site and send some pics of your ride.

HS

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I converted my '91 to be a full top using a '75 windshield frame. I don't have a top for it now but I may buy a soft top at some point, it stays inside so that's not a high priority for me.

If you plan to convert a '76 to a full top, it would be best to brace up the tub. The '73-'75 tubs have "rocker boxes" under the floor (outboard of the frame) to strengthen it and prevent flex around the firewall / door opening areas. Rocker Boxes are not reproduced by anyone so you'll have to fab up something on your own. I have a roll cage and tied it to the windshield frame but I've seen other folks weld in bracing made out of tubing to the underside of the floor.

You can cut the window frame off of full doors, the cutting part isn't complicated but the inner bracing around the exterior handles and cosmetic caps can be hard to find. Classicheartbeat.com just released 73-75 style doors but they are $500 each, I haven't seen any feedback from buyers yet.

The CK5.com forum has a ton of info spread across a few threads; cut measurements, example pics, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackscott2005