Fuel tank help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ARtreehugga

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I recently purchase a started project truck. Truck has 6" suspension and 3" body lift. Im lifting the fuel tanks and have some questions about fuel lines. There are two fittings on the top off the tank. One is larger than the other. Which is which? is one a vent or something?

Thanks
Jake

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Welcome from a fellow member from Arkansas. Im in Lincoln btw. Yea the smaller one is the i think a return from the fuel pump/vent and the bigger one is supply to the pump.

ARtreehugga

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thanks man that's what I was thinking

ARtreehugga

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Ok the passenger side tank is hooked up and working. But the drivers side doesnt have anywhere for the return line coming out of the tank to hook to? Is it nessary to have a return for each tank, or will it return to the passenger side tank when i using the drivers side?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
if it has 2 lines one may be return and not vent, if not then most likely it don't need it.

I never owned a dual tank so I have no clue, but you don't see many ppl fabbing gas tank with only one line or soemthing unless it's plugged and clearly seen like a hose and bolt with clmaps that's easily fixed.

bravo on raising the tanks, body lifts are ok if you don't know they are there, like raising the bumpers, gap gaurds in the wheel wells and then the tanks on these trucks for sure.

ARtreehugga

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Yea on passenger tank i have one hose running to the fuel pump, and the other hose running directly to a line running up the frame. On the driver side tank, I have one hose running across the truck and into the fuel pump, but cant find a spot for the other hose to hook to? Im not familier with these gas tanks at all. The tank on the passenger was hooked up when i got the truck, so i know its right. The drivers side tank was sitting in the bed, so im not sure?

Anybody have any knowlege on these duel tank set ups?

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
OK on my 86 my left tank had a supply return and a vent that came from the front but the right only had a supply and a return. Both supplys and the returns went through the valve. The only vent went straight to the left tank. I didnt trace it but im sure it went to the charcol canister that on my truck has been removed by the previous owner.

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
Yeah smurph, the vent goes to the canister. The other lines route through the switching valve.

The return only going to one side will not prevent it from working, however, it can cause problems if the right side happens to be full and is getting the return from the left.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Well that explains why i have open lines under my hood then cause my canister was removed by the PO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3dbello