Fuel switch in '85 c10 stopped working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darrin.cain82

Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 S/W
Engine Size
L 98 355
I've been using my dual tanks in my 85 s/w since I've had the truck (5 months) it has been working fine but now it only works on the left tank. Won't switch over to the right tank at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Fuel tank switches fail quite often. Rock Auto sells a AC Delco switch for about 10 bucks. Very easy to change out.
Fuel valve a bit more money and a lot more work to swap out.

What happens when you hit the switch, does the fuel gauge jump any? Does the engine still receive fuel?

Attached is a schematic for my '83, yours should be the same.
You must be registered for see images

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The solution is probably not this simple, but remember: From 1981 - 1986, the tank select switch used to operate the transfer valve was a momentary type switch and the transfer valve was motorized (as opposed to solenoid activated). So in order to switch from one tank to the other, it is necessary to press and hold the switch in the desired position for about 2 seconds. The valve can usually rotate to the other tank in way less time than that, but try laying on it for a few seconds to see if it's just slow.

Check that the power feed from the fuse block to the tank switch circuit is connected properly. It is a pink lead that is plugged into one of the IGN sockets.

darrin.cain82

Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 S/W
Engine Size
L 98 355
Thank you very much man this will help me out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics