Fuel Pump Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

omillan99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350 4 Bolt
Is it just my luck that the 2 most recent mechanical fuel pumps I've swapped in have an issue with the fuel line that empties past the pump overnight? I have two clear filter, one before a pressure regulator and one after and both are empty and take a few moments to start and I have to use starter fluid if I don't start it daily. Do you have this issue also or is it just me? Any ideas to fix this or what pumps won't cause this?

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
I don't think I see where there's problem.

It shouldn't matter if the pump line drains back or not. The fuel in the carb bowl is used to start it, not the fuel in the line. The pump will prime that line long before the float bowl ever empties out.

Now, in all fairness, if the engine sits long enough the fuel in the bowl will evaporate out and then you'll have to turn over the engine several times to prime the float bowl again before starting it.
That scenario should not be happening overnight though.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I know my truck is doing the same thing, but part of the problem is the accelerator pump is going out. The Ethanol in our fuel eats them up and it makes it hard to start until enough fuel is pumped back up to the carb.

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
If your float bowl empties out overnight I'm thinking a Welch plug in the fuel bowl is leaking. Which is a pretty common problem on Qjets. That just shouldn't happen.
Maybe a carb rebuild is in order to make sure the plugs aren't leaking and fix them if they are.

Of course I'm assuming you guys are running Qjets.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
If your float bowl empties out overnight I'm thinking a Welch plug in the fuel bowl is leaking. Which is a pretty common problem on Qjets. That just shouldn't happen.
Maybe a carb rebuild is in order to make sure the plugs aren't leaking and fix them if they are.

Of course I'm assuming you guys are running Qjets.

Another little nugget to tack onto this is that I don’t know what kind of filter the carb builder used for my Quadrajet, but it was just the filter. My store bought replacement had a check valve to mitigate drain back. I don’t like to overdo it with my starter or flood it out so I haven’t tested it, but if it didn’t do anything, I don’t know why it’d be there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eatfood