Fuel pump and other wiring issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That rod will drop if you don't have it held in place. There is a bolt in the front of the block that is there to keep oil from coming out. IIRC it's a 5/16-18 x 3/8". Temporarily replace it with a longer bolt while you are holding the rod up. Install the pump and then swap the bolt. If you don't have that short bolt in there you will have a delightful oil leak.
I need to remember this tip when I go to do my fuel pump again, when that time comes.

leviwatson

Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 1500
Engine Size
There should be sufficient fuel in the tanks.

Ah, you failed to mention that the truck is equipped with dual gas tanks. Not that it matters at this stage, but that is the type of info you should share when asking for help.

When I sucked on the 5/8" line, no fuel came out, and there was no vacuum created, I'm not sure if there should have been one? It just kinda gurgled on the other end of the line.

I think you mean when you sucked on the 3/8" line - you got no fuel or vacuum. That is the supply line to the pump.

What do you mean when you state that "it just kinda gurgled on the other end of the line"? In the tank? Are the lines all connected? Or are they open to atmosphere?

Does your tank transfer valve appear to be shifting from the left to right tanks? If the tanks have significantly different levels, a good way to confirm the valve is shifting is if the gas gauge shows a discernible change when the L/R control switch on the dash is toggled. To achieve a full shift, the switch must be held over for at least 2 seconds.

Take a close look at the plumbing that connects to the Pollak valve. There should be two (2) 3/8" lines that run from each tank to the valve and one 3/8" line that runs forward to the fuel pump. Also one (5/16") return line coming back from the fuel pump and two (2) 5/16" lines that run back to the tanks.

There's something wrong here. You should have got a mouthful of gas and/or been able to develop a vacuum in the supply line to the pump.

Sorry, my bad!

Yes, I meant the 3/8" line. Gurgling is the best way to explain the sound. It sounds like there's fuel on the other side, but there's just not a vacuum forming. I will inspect the lines and make sure they're all connected and sound. I didn't disconnect them during the swap, and it worked prior to the swap, so I'm not sure what would have happened, but I'll check regardless.

And it's hard to tell on the tank selector, it makes the buzzing noise when I depress the selector switch, but I think my tanks are very similar in fuel amount, cause they both read 1/4.

Ok, that's good to hear! That's what I thought, so it's nice to have that confirmed ha.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I edited my post (#28) to reflect the correct bolt size and added a pic.

leviwatson

Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 1500
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

That rod will drop if you don't have it held in place. There is a bolt in the front of the block that is there to keep oil from coming out. IIRC it's a 3/8-16 x 3/4". Temporarily replace it with a longer (1-1/4") bolt while you are holding the rod up. Install the pump and then swap the bolt. If you don't have that short bolt in there you will have a delightful oil leak.

Yeah I made sure that it stayed up while I was installing the pump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad