Fuel neck filler hose doesn't fit with new tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkraven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
c25 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
Replacing 20 gallon fuel tank with a 16 gallon in 1977 GMC Sierra Grande and when mounted on the tank the filler neck doesn't reach the insert point. Trying to find a neck that's the right size and not having luck so far. Any thoughts?

Picture for reference.

You must be registered for see images attach

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That's interesting. I would have thought the tanks would be in the same location with the short side up front so GM could use the same filler hose. Are there two different mounting locations on the frame? Maybe the brackets just need to be moved back?

dkraven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
c25 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
Thanks for the ideas. I checked on the frame for a different mounting location and the tank has just the two spots for the brackets. It's a head scratcher for me, but I'm definitely a noob as this truck was given to me and I'm trying to get it going. carparts.com listed the 16 gallon as fitting but I can't find reference to a different size filler neck or hose anywhere. Wishing I'd just bought the 20 gallon but I thought the 16 would be easier to handle and install. Live and learn and blow $100 I suppose...

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Can the whole bracket with straps be moved back on the frame to make your filler work if you re drill the frame to mount your tank where your filler will work? Check,I just looked under one of my trucks and I think that is an option. We have freezing rain and I'm wearing shorts and barefoot so I didn't look real hard. Also if that won't work the filler you have can be modified to work.

Last edited:

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Several times I needed to change fuel necks to different locations to accommodate aftermarket equipment. Hired a muffler shop to bend up tubing for the new location. Just an idea.

dkraven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
c25 Sierra Grande
Engine Size

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Yep you would have to extend the wires and fuel lines,nbd. If I wanted to make what you have there work I'd get 2 rubber couplers and tubing to make extensions. Bolt a piece of strap across 2 bed reinforcements to bolt the hanger to. If relocating the tank is an option I think that would be better.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
Just ran into this on the weekend. 87 Jimmy 35 gal replaced with 25. Straps are different of course but filler also. I cut a piece about 2 inches from an old hose & made a bushing to fit. Fixed.

Strickland

dkraven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
c25 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
@Ricko1966 curious why you'd choose moving the position of the tank over figuring out a way to extend the hose

@Strick I think I'm going to try using a longer piece of hose

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
My apologies. There was some discussion in another thread about stupid smartphones not working. I scrolled back up & see where you're replacing the tank with a shorter one. That was not in view when I first looked at the post. I can see that you need longer filler hoses now. Stupid phone...

Strickland

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
If you make bushings to join hoses to existing hoses or tubing to make extensions as I suggested the angle isn't quite right going from the tank to the filler so the extensions are always going to be I a bind,trying to pull out. As well as you've created more places to leak. Moving the tank the filler will lineup no bind and no extra points to leak. It's just me I like to do things with as few potential points of failure as possible.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
Was it possible to get a long bed with a 16 gal. tank?
I'd extend the filler hose and replace the vent hose.

Dixie Pride

Reaction score
First Name
Al
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
When i replaced my dual tanks on my 85 K20 my filler hoses were thin say 18ga. medal,they were rusted & could not find replacements in stock. SO i ordered bent SS piping ,you can get about whatever angle you need and cut it to size .Does not have to be exact you will still have a little play in the rubber ends. Also if you replace any of the rubber part make sure they are made to be used in contact with gas or they will gum up on you.and please dont exclude the vent tube end and remember OD & ID if you order piping.

Jeff Lewis

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
modify the rubber hose

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads