fuel cell with or without foam?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
searched and searched but cannot find a valid answer. i know the foam is for safety and i thought mainly for strip use and a requirement for drag cars. i however am running a street only truck. for street do i need the foam? looking at an aluminum cell with probably a sending unit. stupid question i know and i hate posting redundant questions but i have searched google and no one can give a definitive answer.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
The foam acts like a baffle and prevents fuel from sloshing around, good to have on the street, BUT I don't know if it would hold up to ethanol crap, if you run good gas then no problem..

74propu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
austin
Truck Year
1974 1980 1986
Truck Model
c10s/b c10 s/b c10l/b
Engine Size
5.3 / ?/454 tbi
i have a 15 gal fuel cell without foam in my 74 with a sender in it with the foam the gauge sender will not work the foam will keep the float in the full or empty point will not rise and lower with the fuel my gauge dose not bounce around at all till it is below 1/4 tank I got it off ebay I hope this helps

Attachments

• DSCF0400[1].jpg
    DSCF0400[1].jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 71

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
i have a 15 gal fuel cell without foam in my 74 with a sender in it with the foam the gauge sender will not work the foam will keep the float in the full or empty point will not rise and lower with the fuel my gauge dose not bounce around at all till it is below 1/4 tank I got it off ebay I hope this helps

yessir it does. i was debating between a 15 gal or 20 gal tank. what brand cell is yours?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
with the foam the gauge sender will not work the foam will keep the float in the full or empty point will not rise and lower with the fuel
That's real easy to fix, just cut an area out in the foam blocks enough to clear the arm and float works great, did that in a neighbors Chevelle about 8 yrs ago, still working good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade