FRONT Sway Bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Just wanted to let those who don't have a front sway bar on their GMSB truck know, you need to get one. I think its rare they don't, but I have a truck that did not come factory with one. I drilled out the rivets and robbed the frame brackets and the bar off one of the trucks I was scrapping, bought grade 8 bolts and installed the frame brackets to holes already in the frame, new bushings and installed the same sway bar brackets & bolts and A arm brackets & bolts off the doner. Holes were also already in the lower A-arm. No drilling required. What a differance. Huge differance, especially in cornering, like a wide left hand turn. Seems to not only handle better, but does not lean near as bad either.

Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I took mine off. With so much lift and no drop-kit for it, it really made the ride more harsh, not to mention limited front articulation offroad. But my truck isnt a blacktop speed demon, you have to drive it like a loaded dump truck on the road anyway.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I can see taking it off on a 4x4, but it certainly makes a huge differance on a 2x4. I had no idea some truck didn't come with them from he factory. Its a freakin option. This was an 81 GMC that I added it to that didn't have one from the factory. Nice though, the holes are already punched for it.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Heck yeah, trying to throw it into a powerslide without a sway bar, forget about it. But my powersliding days ended the first time I lifted it lol. 2WD I would definately want the sway bar, not sure how they're made on the 2WDs but if they are the same as the 4WD version, the 4WD sway bar may be beefier if you wanted even more stiffness in the corners.

Scratch that, I think they are made a little different.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, they are very similar in operation, but yep, they are also differant. The 2wd has brackets on the frame to hold the bar. Then each end of the bar is also bracketed and bushed to the lower control arms.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I took mine off. With so much lift and no drop-kit for it, it really made the ride more harsh, not to mention limited front articulation offroad. But my truck isnt a blacktop speed demon, you have to drive it like a loaded dump truck on the road anyway.

My loaded dump truck does 95mph

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I doubt you could get it to 95mph on a windy WV biway, hillside on one side, 100 foot drop or more on the other. Maybe on the long straight stretches in TX, with a tail wind.:crazy:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbass91120