Front end problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77jimmy

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
Full size jimmy
Engine Size
Hi my front end is having a problem. When I'm truning and go back straight the wheel is never in the same spot. Like it will be - then ill turn then it's / turn agin it's \ the it'll go back to -. The dashes represent the cross in the steering wheel. Any ideas on what is causing this?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Have a look at the rag joint that couples the steering box to the steering shaft. You will probably find a lot of slop in it while the steering wheel is wiggled back and forth.

77jimmy

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
Full size jimmy
Engine Size
Checked that out and it's not bad at all. Could bad leaf spring bushings cause it cuz mine are all shot to hell.

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
whatever it is, sounds like its a safety hazard for you and should be fixed by a pro... sorry im no help on this one, i have no clue

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Anything to do with the front end steering should be checked/replaced if bad, including spring eye bushings. Tie rod ends, ball joints, wheel bearings, drag link ends, play at the pitman arm shaft in the steering box, internal play ay the steering box (which sometimes can be adjusted till fixed) and be sure to check your mounting bolts of the steering box to the frame. Try to look for frame cracks as well at the steering box. You can have someone turn the wheel while you watch the steering box and tell if anything obvious is going on. Same with other parts too.

benmerithew

Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I know this is a bit old, but I had the same problem. Looked at my lift springs abit and saw that the wedge at the bottom was crocked and saw that the piece that the u bolts go through moved alittle bit. Took it all apart and found the centering pin broke replaced it and it fixed the problem

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ohiokm