Front drive shaft is hitting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Sounds like you were definitely due for some maintenance. Hope it helped solve the issues. It's always a pain to check that stuff properly but once you find the problem and fix it you kinda fall in love with your truck all over again you know, lol.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
thanks for the update. highdesertranger

John Reason

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well guys I put some poly mounts on and it still will not clear it completely. Probably gonna try and grind the cross member for clearance.

You must be registered for see images attach

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Well guys I put some poly mounts on and it still will not clear it completely. Probably gonna try and grind the cross member for clearance.

No difference...? Haha that's what you get listening to others advice online...
No sorry John just kidding and I'm surprised really that it didn't help. Oh maybe you should have used the black poly...
Gosh I hate to say anything now... but wondering about he motor mounts... do I dare mention? If the passenger side was sacked the motor would lean
slightly to passenger side which would lower the TC as well.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Not sure if it was suggested already but... is your crossmember backwards?

I’ll look in the morning, but I think the slotted trans mount goes to the drivers side.

Nonstop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
Just throwing it out there - is there a clocking ring on that case? The front looks like it’s hanging a little low.

John Reason

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The slot on my cross member is definitely on the passenger side. I'll change it around. I never took the cross member completely off when I changed the mounts. If it is backwards it's been like that since I bought the truck. I'll swap it around tonight. Looking at the opposite side it looks like it would have more clearance.

Not sure on the clocking ring. I'm not the most well versed but I'm learning alot the more I dig into this truck and talking with the guys on this board.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
The slot on my cross member is definitely on the passenger side. I'll change it around. I never took the cross member completely off when I changed the mounts. If it is backwards it's been like that since I bought the truck. I'll swap it around tonight. Looking at the opposite side it looks like it would have more clearance.

Not sure on the clocking ring. I'm not the most well versed but I'm learning alot the more I dig into this truck and talking with the guys on this board.
It’s still dark out here. Hang tight and I’ll look in an hour or so.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It’s still dark out here. Hang tight and I’ll look in an hour or so.

Your crossmember is a different stamping because of the 1-ton frame.

I think this is one reason that GM changed crossmember designs after a few years of running the 208, not a lot of clearance.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
One of the reasons they changed was for clearance but I think it was more for including exhaust that had catalytic converters more-so than the driveshaft but it is certainly possible they did account for that in the process. FWIW I know my flat crossmember has wear mark on it from interference, but it came off another older model truck. Kind of had to go that route since I already had the long footed t-case adapter and it was cheaper to pick up the crossmember since it had a transfer case attached to it already.

John Reason

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Switched the cross member around and it clears now. Needed new mounts anyways. I'll take it for a spin in 4wd in the next few days. Thanks for all your help.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
GRUNGY!!!! Glad that fixed your issue! Now we know that the crossmembers are technically directional.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Switched the cross member around and it clears now. Needed new mounts anyways. I'll take it for a spin in 4wd in the next few days. Thanks for all your help.

After bucket told me mine would be different, I thought it was stumped. Glad it worked anyway.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
People tell me when you swap to Poly mounts that you feel vibrations through the chassis more but I think that also depends on your cab mounts and how worn out they may or may not be and personally I have not had my junk running yet to know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbass91120