Front clip swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

triplel43762

Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I was planning to my 87 to a 76 style till I realized that I need more than just the radiator support, which I have and did a lot of work so I can use a mishimoto radiator that I have off a Cummins I sold. If I get the 66 style fenders , a 76 hood also? I see the older ones that the hood goes clear to the glass and no cowl. I don’t want to gather up everything and then be in some 6 month fabrication project. My big question is what hood, do you have to mess with the wipers and all? Will the older hood cover the cowl area if you remove the panel? I read that the hinges need some work

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
66 or 76?

If you want to change to a 76 style front end you need EVERYTHING forward of the windshield - hood, fenders, inner fenders, hinges, core support, grille etc.

I believe the only thing that will interchange is the body mount bushings.

The older hood will cover the cowl over the wipers but I don't know if any wiper related mods are necessary.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
The frame horns are also different, so be prepared to modify them to get the bumper to sit right. Nvrenuf is right, everything forward of the windshield is different:
-cowl screen
-fenders
-hood ('73-78 and then '79/80 are the two earlier hoods. There's a style line in the front edge of the '79/80 hood that's not there in the earlier ones)
-core support
-grille/lights/trim
-front harness
-bumper
-frame horns

The core support/body mounts are different as well. I'm not sure on the wipers, I know the arms are different on the later trucks but not sure if they'll work with the earlier hood. It's a big job.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Yes the wiper towers need to be changed too. The 73-80 are shorter to fit under the hood. You should be able to keep your wiper arms and washer squirters.

I back dated my '79 to look like a '73-74. I like the earlier hood with the peak in the center and the amber parking lights.

You must be registered for see images attach

triplel43762

Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
thanks for your information. A little deeper than originally planned! About like everything else in life! Sharp truck Craig! That is my favorite look also . Now I’m on the fence of if I want to dive into the swap or not. I have everything 87. BUT if I put it together like that it will be like that for a long time!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84