Front brake hose difference

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmmoCan

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the difference between 71-78 and 79-86 front brakes? I have an 86 k10 with a 4" lift and I broke one of the extended brake hoses.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
They might be routed differently, the fittings on the hose ends may not be interchangable, they might not be the same lengths, etc.

There might be any number of differences - but it kind of begs the question: Why not just replace the broken hose with one appropriate for your model and year?

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Can anyone tell me the difference between 71-78 and 79-86 front brakes? I have an 86 k10 with a 4" lift and I broke one of the extended brake hoses.

The fittings are different. The older trucks have 7/16" banjo fittings. Newer trucks are 10mm.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The older trucks have 7/16" banjo fittings. Newer trucks are 10mm.

Just a word of advice on the banjo ends:

If you change your hoses and they are the OEM installation - RETAIN THE OEM COPPER WASHERS/GASKETS FOR REUSE - EVEN USED, THEY SEAL BETTER THAN ANY BRAND NEW AFTERMARKET CRAP!

I just replaced my original calipers and hoses. I had to use 2 of the aftermarket type (was able to find 2 OEM ones).

The copper washers currently available are a bitch to get to seal. I think it's because they are too hard. The old ones sealed right up with minimum torque (even though the imprinted rings didn't match up).

The only way I could finally get the new ones to seat was to repeatedly torque and release them. And when I say torque - I mean crank the livin' shiite out of them.

And don't even get me started on what's available for bleeder fittings - they absolutely suck! Even worse of a headache than the copper washers.

AmmoCan

Reaction score
They might be routed differently, the fittings on the hose ends may not be interchangable, they might not be the same lengths, etc.

There might be any number of differences - but it kind of begs the question: Why not just replace the broken hose with one appropriate for your model and year?

The older style is a bunch cheaper for extended lines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe