Front axle off set to passenger side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
You must be registered for see images attach

Passenger side bottom then top, drivers side bottom then top

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The pic of the driver's side tells the story. Notice that the rubber bumper that is supposed to hit in the center of the plate on top of the springs is sitting completely outside of that. Looks like the frame on the driver's side has been bent.

Honestly I think you are over stressing this. You know the truck is capable of being driven as is. You know you have been driving it like this for a long time. Fix it right when you can afford to do so and enjoy it as is for now.

Although some of your posts make me suspect you need a new steering box...

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Well if the drivers side is bent and out of alignment thag bump stop wouldn’t be on the outside? It on the outside is saying the frame is wider than should be? Since the axle is offset passenger side I’m thinking drivers side is correct and passenger side is actually off but since the axle is to passenger side the bump stop lines up in the middle ~the amount it’s off center? Make any sense? My brain broken? Who knows, but, why are you suspecting I need a steering box? Is there something obviously wrong with it or does it just seem off?

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Well if the drivers side is bent and out of alignment thag bump stop wouldn’t be on the outside? It on the outside is saying the frame is wider than should be? Since the axle is offset passenger side I’m thinking drivers side is correct and passenger side is actually off but since the axle is to passenger side the bump stop lines up in the middle ~the amount it’s off center? Make any sense? My brain broken? Who knows, but, why are you suspecting I need a steering box? Is there something obviously wrong with it or does it just seem off?
Deep breath here...

You just installed new springs. The springs are straight. They are bolted at each end to the frame of the truck. If the bump stop is not aligned with the springs that are bolted to the SAME frame it is bolted to then that part of the frame has to be bent somewhere. The other side of the frame may be bent also but it is obvious there is SOMETHING bent on the driver's side.

Regarding the steering box, the only thing you have posted so far that has me worried is that the steering wheel is not returning to the same position to make the truck go straight down the road. That indicates that something is moving or else something is very, very loose. You say you have replaced all the loose stuff so I am wondering about your steering box. I kind of think you need the advice of a decent and honest mechanic on that.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
I get what you refer to with the frame, and steering box, my wheel was slightly left for majority of my drive today(first drive since torquing axle nuts) the teuck drove fine rode like crap but hey stiff springs it’s whatever it’s not a Cadillac. But when I was slowing down to turn onto a road the truck shook when decelerating. Not like a warped rotor shake, like a death wobble shake like the wheels were pulling opposite ways and catching very rapidly, is there some geometry that when you’re accelerating the wheels have a different toe than when slowing down? I have an alignment scheduled Wednesday. If the alignment doesn’t fix it I’m not sure what it could be. Truck drove fairly straight I didn’t have to correct the wheel a whole lot or anything, no I’m not going to let go of the wheel and see if it goes straight. It pulled right last time I tried. Also @AuroraGirl the diff cover, it being. 3/4 ton and non full float it would be a semi float? Is there any way of checking the actual size of either ring gear without removing the cover? I want to get chrome covers since I have to change the fluid anyways. I have 2 bottles of 80-90 gear oil.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Welp, believe it or not, alignment didn’t help as much as I’d hope. Truck still shakes. And if I let go of the wheel the truck pulls to the right. Any ideas before I start getting in my head and thinking something is seriously wrong?(something is obviously seriously wrong but…)
Edit: might need a clutch soon too… guy at alignment place stalled the truck atleast 4 times and one time I’m pretty sure he just held it to the floor.. before I end up getting this truck fixed something is gonna destroy it.. I really needed the truck fixed by Saturday for prom but so far it isn’t looking like that’s gonna happen since it’s been down for almost three months now.. also the idle is high again.. fml

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
I don’t feel like after an alignment your vehicle should pull to one side or the other.. but what do I know. I know I sat for over a half hour and spent $30 and my problem isn’t fixed. Hopefully it helped something somewhere tho. I should’ve taken a picture of the adjustment sleeve to see if they even did anything

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size

Passenger side bottom then top, drivers side bottom then top
Anyone else notice in the above pics, especially the view of the left front spring assembly looking back just how far out of whack the rear spring hangars and new bushings look in relation to the frame and the front spring assembly? And how far the same appears to sit outboard of the frame on the passenger side assembly? I know i'm late to the party on this but could the upper bushings that go through the frame for the rear spring links for front springs be so far *****'d from the previous accident and everything being out of whack from the suspected still bent frame that it could be causing a larger part of the problem? Or is that all just an optical illusion at the back of the springs? Or is the front of that frame just that bent it's pulling everything in that direction?

Edit: I can't say F U B A R on the forum..?!

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
I notice the rear hangers looking “off” but even if they were off the front ones are solid mounted? Correct? So wouldn’t that put the spring in a bind?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Anyone else notice in the above pics, especially the view of the left front spring assembly looking back just how far out of whack the rear spring hangars and new bushings look in relation to the frame and the front spring assembly? And how far the same appears to sit outboard of the frame on the passenger side assembly? I know i'm late to the party on this but could the upper bushings that go through the frame for the rear spring links for front springs be so far *****'d from the previous accident and everything being out of whack from the suspected still bent frame that it could be causing a larger part of the problem? Or is that all just an optical illusion at the back of the springs? Or is the front of that frame just that bent it's pulling everything in that direction?

Edit: I can't say F U B A R on the forum..?!
I think I brought that up a while back, yeah I see that

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Alright not sure what they did at alignment shop, but the adjustment sleeve doesn’t look like it’s moved any. Went back to old pics and the bolts are both still straight up and down like in the photo and there’s no damage to paint/powder in the threads I’ll get a rough measure tomorrow to see if they even did the right thing. They said all they did was set the toe.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Alright not sure what they did at alignment shop, but the adjustment sleeve doesn’t look like it’s moved any. Went back to old pics and the bolts are both still straight up and down like in the photo and there’s no damage to paint/powder in the threads I’ll get a rough measure tomorrow to see if they even did the right thing. They said all they did was set the toe.
On some adjusters the clamps can be rotated while loose, a good alignment tech would rotate the clamps to the rear or whatever orientation they figure puts them out of harms way.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
I’ll check tomorrow and see if it’s in the exact same place or if it’s been moved. I don’t know why the truck is shaking and pulling right all of a sudden

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Late to this party as well, but did the alignment shop provide you with a before and after print out from the alignment machine? $30 seems a little light for an actual alignment check. It takes at least 20 minutes to get everything sorted out before you even put hands to any steering/suspension parts. Beyond any defects with the truck, the alignment shop seems defective as well for not fully explaining what an "alignment" on a 4x4 really entails.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I’ll check tomorrow and see if it’s in the exact same place or if it’s been moved. I don’t know why the truck is shaking and pulling right all of a sudden
Also they didn’t test drive it. Clearly. Seems like you got hosed

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody