Front axle install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan billings
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 suburban
Engine Size
6.2L diesel
How do I line up my front axle? Removed the whole thing rebuilt a bunch of it and now I’m installing with new everything. The truck isn’t sitting flat so I’m sure I’m shooting myself in the foot right off of the bat. I was just wondering how some of you went about it. I got top of the line ord stuff and so far I have my axle just loosely bolted up also my springs are just finger tight on there to. Do I tighten springs then u bolts or vice versa? Sway bar after/before?

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The spring center pins will line the axle up. Snug up the u-bolts, then get weight back on the truck and torque everything to spec.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
As said above! Don’t forget to leave everything loose enough, for it to settle when you get it off the jack, then you can tighten everything. If not your suspension will bind up and ride like crap

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Yep, what they said...

Looking good so far. Nice springs you got. What are you going to be running for shocks and did you get the ORD sway bar disconnect?

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Also ride the truck around and re torque the U bolts
I’d also check them every other day for about a week

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Tighten the bolts under load - with the truck sitting on the ground. Bounce the corners up and down a couple of times - nothin to it.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan billings
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 suburban
Engine Size
6.2L diesel
Thanks so much. I got everything thru ord got bilstien shocks all around yes it’s got a disconnect kit that’s on there loose as well.

I was just looking at a thread and now I’m wondering am I gonna need to modify my drive shafts?

Thanks for the help

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I didn't see where you said how much lift it was... those springs can droop a lot so hard to tell in your picture.

What length front shocks did you get? Using the stock mounting locations for them? This will be your limiting factor on how far those springs droop.

Might start taking some measurements. Measure from the output flange on the transfer case to the yoke on the front diff with the frame supported and the axle just hanging. If you don't have the shocks on yet you can get this measurement then do it again after the shocks.

Then measure your stock driveshaft. I'm almost positive that the front driveshaft will be too short.

Did you get their longer 4.5" bumpstops as well?

What did you do in the rear for a lift?

Last edited:

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
It looks to me like it’s a for sure 6in lift if not an 8in. Short answer is yes you’ll have to get your driveshafts modified.

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan billings
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 suburban
Engine Size
6.2L diesel
It’s a 6 inch lift custom ord springs all around and bilstien shocks as well.
Also got a set of 17x9 Mickey Thompson rims and 35x12.50 Yokohama geolanders
I’m located in deer isle maine. Any suggestions on a reputable shop? Any idea of cost?
Thanks again

Last edited:

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
How are you planning on using your Suburban? Plan on disconnecting the front sway bar and going to off road parks and trying to get maximum articulation?

Your front shocks are probably Bilstein ORD-F3's? They have 10.25" of travel. You'll need a driveshaft that can be the right length with the passenger front tire stuffed and when it is dropped out. To get these measurements disconnect your sway bar and then get creative with a jack, big rocks to park on, a ditch maybe... You'll need to measure driveshaft length in both positions.

I had my front driveshaft built at Tom Wood's in Utah for $365 two years ago. Denny's driveshaft is another good one online. After you take your measurements then they can recommend what you need. They have different length splines for the slip joint based on how much travel you have.

I tried to go to a local shop where I live in a smaller town and was pretty much laughed right out of the shop when I mentioned them making a custom driveshaft with long travel... so I called Tom Woods.

http://www.4xshaft.com/

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan billings
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 suburban
Engine Size
6.2L diesel
Good info now that you mention it I have deffinetly heard of both while lurking around different places

Really not sure exactly what I plan to do with it. Got it stuck pretty good a couple times just poking around and decided I wanted a little lift and tires. It’s sorta got out of hand....

I’m kinda worried it’s gonna be a bit lacking riding on the stock peg leg axles but I just can’t afford anything else past getting it back together for now. I’ve worked as a tech in dealerships and done some different things with a chevelle I have But this is my first even remotely legit 4x4 build. It’s deffinetly a slippery slope once your really start playing around.

The leg bone connects to the.... oh **** there is an elbow in the way now..... lol

Last edited:

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
And I'd highly recommend getting some aftermarket bumpstops that are properly spaced. These springs ride great- but are softer and travel more. ORD told me that for mine (4" lift springs) they don't like to see more than I think 5" of upwards travel. This will also help protect the front driveshaft from potentially bottoming out.

So since the spring pack was so thick their 4.5" bumpstops seem to be the perfect distance away (including some squishing down of the bumpstop)

I'm guessing your spring pack would be the same thickness so a 4.5" bumpstop with some 2" square tubing under the bumpstop for a spacer would be good.

And those bumpstops can be ordered elsewhere cheaper than ORD... their shipping can be expensive.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Good info now that you mention it I have deffinetly heard of both while lurking around different places

Really not sure exactly what I plan to do with it. Got it stuck pretty good a couple times just poking around and decided I wanted a little lift and tires. It’s sorta got out of hand....

I’m kinda worried it’s gonna be a bit lacking riding on the stock peg leg axles but I just can’t afford anything else past getting it back together for now. I’ve worked as a tech in dealerships and done some different things with a chevelle I have But this is my first even remotely legit 4x4 build. It’s deffinetly a slippery slope once your really start playing around.

The leg bone connects to the.... oh **** there is an elbow in the way now..... lol

I hear ya- I've owned my truck a long time and it all started one winter many years ago. Got stuck in my driveway with one front tire spinning, then one rear tire spinning. So I got a detroit locker for the rear. Then the front truetrac, then suspension, bigger tires, then different suspension, then bigger tires...

I've learned a lot along the way and what I have now still isn't done. Still have some plans. But it is WAY better then my previous trucks with a very stiff 4" lift and 4" lift blocks in the rear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benn95