Frame Work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gm84HighSierra

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
84 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hi, I'm am cleaning my frame of the rust and dirt. It doesn't need to be perfect but I was looking for some ideas on how to clean it. I have grinders and wire brushes just looking for more of paint and rust sealants.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
I picked up some of these to strip my frame.

http://m.harborfreight.com/4-12-in-polycarbide-abrasive-wheel-60571.html

From the small section I've tested so far they will make quick work of it. Those will strip it to metal though. I plan to paint mine with tractor paint from tractor supply. They have a good primer there an then I'll to coat with a semi gloss black.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
They also have that style wheel that will fit a drill for the smaller areas so you can get in there. I went a step further an completely disassembled my frame though

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Honestly the fastest and most effective way to clean your frame is to sand blast it. You can pay to have it done for probably $100 or buy the stuff to do it your self for just under $200

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
2X MadOgre's suggestion. There are mobile blasting guys that will come to your site and do unlimited blasting for about $150/hr.

To get the most for your money, be sure you have everything ready. Remove anything in the way of the areas that you want cleaned up - if the steel to be blasted is open and accessible the guy can fly.

Get the truck up on jackstands if possible - so he can easily get under it and move around. Remove any type of bolted on stuff you can - so he doesn't have to spend time blasting into corners.

A couple of caveats:

1. They don't clean up the used grit after they are done, so plan to do it someplace out of the way - in a remote corner of your backyard for example.

2. SEAL UP EVERYTHING THAT MOVES. Fine particles of expended blasting grit and the removed rust will find their way everywhere and get into the tiniest cracks and openings. Use tarps, plastic trash bags and lots of duct tape to seal the vital components of your truck.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Local guys here will come and pick up my frame take it to there shop blast it (estimated 15-30 min) Bake it and return it for aprox $125. They charge a flat rate of $75 for local P&D plus blast time

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Everywhere local to me that I called wanted $250 to blast the frame only. That's why I'm doing it myself as I couldn't see paying that much to have it done.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The added bonus of doing it your self is that now you are equipped to blast any other part you so desire. Like steel wheels, brackets, body parts and what ever you decide to coat with POR15 as that stuff adheres to blasted surfaces best.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
For my frame (I only did the part behind the cab, as i had the bed off) I just took a wire brush and some sandpaper on a orbital sander for the flats, and it worked pretty good. Theres pitted areas, and it didnt look the best in some places, but you couldnt even see them when the bed was back on.
I painted it with some gloss black spraypaint, and its already not so glossy (this was over the summer).
My friend did his frame with just rattle can paint and its held up good for quite a few years so i figured a good few coats should make it look nice.

Paint it with a semi gloss or satin, as thats what itll end up as anyways, dirt roads and mud (not even mudding, just rainy days) will fade it real quik, it looked amazing for the first month or so haha, but if you dont want to spend a ton on the abrasive products just go wire brush and sandpaper, great results for me

Gm84HighSierra

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
84 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
If you dont want to spend a ton on the abrasive products just go wire brush and sandpaper, great results for me

Lol yeah That's what I am doing I got wire brushes and the sand paper. I wasn't wanting to spend a lot knowing it would get dirty real quick. I am getting it real smooth and rust free then coating it. It should look real nice when I'm done

farmerchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
here what i used,here the results
Eastwood rust encapsulater,then sprayed with tractor supply equipment enamel for topcoat and UV protection

farmerchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
with the rust encapsulater,all you do is knock off the scale and cover.I power washed my frame first,then wire wheeled good with a wheel on a angle grinder and a wire brush on a die grinder for smaller areas.cover with the encapsulater,let dried,then topcoated.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
here what i used,here the results
Eastwood rust encapsulater,then sprayed with tractor supply equipment enamel for topcoat and UV protection

did you get the rust encapsulatoer from tsc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squareframe