Frame coating...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
I don't see my ride as ever coming out as show quality. I'll put some work into it, but this will be a driver. I may even have it decaled "If you see this truck on a trailer call 911! It's been STOLEN!". That being said, when I tear it down to frame I will do something to coat the frame. I am thinking about doing a bedliner coat on it thinking that this will coat and protect long term. Am I off base here or is this a good way to go with the criteria I have outlined?

If this works OK for the frame, is there any reason it wouldn't work for other pieces of the the underside? I can't see doing this with springs, shocks or drive shaft, but I am wondering about the rest of the underside. I'm thinking about doing this with the rear axle taking care not to go over the bolts and plugs. I will be rebuilding the steering/suspension up front and thinking about the same thing there.

Is this crazy and stupid or not a bad idea on a driver. I'm thinking this will not only protect long term but also make it easy to keep clean. Obviously care would need to be taken to tape off wear or threaded areas. No, this isn't an off road truck. I just like the idea of being able to keep things clean down there.

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
From what I've gathered most people prefer to undercoat with POR15 and could theoretically be used for anything not seen by the sun. If you do your leaf springs though, just do the outsides as the leaves need to be able to slide on each other just a bit.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
From what I've gathered most people prefer to undercoat with POR15 and could theoretically be used for anything not seen by the sun. If you do your leaf springs though, just do the outsides as the leaves need to be able to slide on each other just a bit.

Thanks for that. I've seen references to that here but hadn't researched it until now. It looks like you can topcoat it as well if you are concerned with UV exposure. This brings up some possibilities since I was thinking I would like to do something other than black down there.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
POR15 is great and yes they also make a top coat for the areas that may see steady sunlight.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

cbrodine