Found a lead on a used engine, couple questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
So umm ... Do you get to hear it run first?

Or what?! o_O
Who gives a **** man. The real question is what's up with the lift?

I can only dream, so let's live a little vicariously here guys.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Haha!

Ahh yes...to have a garage big enough to fit a lift...ahhhh...

You must be registered for see images attach

Tell us all about it Old Boy! :ehcapt:

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
So umm ... Do you get to hear it run first?

Or what?! o_O

Yeah it's still in a running, driving truck that just severely does not pass inspections, so dude is gonna part it out. When I go there to measure the lift I will get to fire it up and play with it and if I want it he'll tear it out for me when he gets a chance.

Hah, it's nothing fancy some brand I've never heard of before and it's got a few years on it but it works good enough that it's been in service at a pro shop it's whole life. Only reason he's getting rid of it is to replace it with a brand new 4 post with a computer alignment machine built in. My suburban has been on it once for state inspection so I know it'll at least hold that much :cool:

He's asking $800, and another $200 for the engine so it'll be an even grand. Wife already said it's cool so I really really hope this thing measures up!

House we just moved into (finally after renovating the thing since March) has an attached 2.5 car garage with slightly over 12' ceilings, so naturally I just HAVE TO put a lift in there (major selling point for me). I'll have to disconnect one of the garage door openers, shucks. Hah pretty sure I can live with that.

Eventually I am putting up a steel building out back that can hold all my projects and will probably move the lift out there, but that is a different project for a different day with different money that I don't have yet, Lord only knows when I will ever get around to making that happen. For now just being able to put one in the air is good enough for me:waytogo:

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

You caught that too. I thought I was the only one that did so I didn't mention it. Besides, I'd just be jelly about it sooo.....

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
You caught that too. I thought I was the only one that did so I didn't mention it. Besides, I'd just be jelly about it sooo.....
Don't worry, I'll be sure to post pictures and rub it in once it's all set up lol

My days of working outside in the freezing cold and digging pebbles out of my knees are over.

I'm super excited, I never thought I'd actually have my own lift. And holy ****, I didn't even have to bug the wife, I just casually mentioned it and she said yes right off the bat! Something feels weird, watch I'll probably get hit by a semi on the way to pick it up or something.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Haha!

Ahh yes...to have a garage big enough to fit a lift...ahhhh...

You must be registered for see images attach

Tell us all about it Old Boy! :ehcapt:
Haw haw. Made ya learn a word.:)

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
Huh? So they converted a post-‘95 vehicle and engine to TBI, the year stated here is wrong, the friend is mistaken (confusing TBI and CSFI/MPFI), or it’s A TBI long or short block with Vortec-era engine management stuff.

Assuming it’s just a newer “Vortec 5700,” the improvements are a serpentine accessory drive, much better heads (assuming they’re not cracked, valve seals/guides shot and also the springs have a lift duration ceiling of .450 so if you want a cam that gives you more, you need upgraded springs), the cam is a better spec’d roller rather than hydraulic flat tappet, and the mechanical fuel pump provisions are general gone where it would be hit or miss on ‘87-‘95. With a Vortec TBI intake, you could probably run this engine without modding anything using your current engine management setup. Now if you wanted to use the OBDII stuff, you’d have to have the PCM, harness, sensors, etc.

Actually, not that it matters in this application, but I think most or all vortec SBCs still had the mechanical fuel pump provisions. The one from a '97 3/4 ton burb I just took apart sure did. Also pretty sure that all the vortec-era SBCs were 4-bolt mains, too, but not 100% sure on that. AFAIK, if we're just talking short block, the vortec block should be totally compatible with older heads and other accessories. But.....

if you want to use the vortec heads with TBI the issue of the intake manifold is the biggest problem you have to solve. You either have to hunt down the expensive GMPP intake for TBI to Vortec heads OR you can use a 4-barrel manifold for vortec heads and use an adapter. Second option is what I did. There's both GMPP and Edelbrock manifolds available and the adapters can be found pretty easily on e-bay. The adapters are specific to if you are using a spread-bore (q-jet style) or square bore (holley, e-brock) manifold - make sure you get the right one. Also with Vortec heads, as others have mentioned, you need to get them magna-fluxed before you use them. They are very susceptible to cracking, especially where the middle exhaust valves are back to back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising