Fouling issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slink

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
305ci
Mechanic tuned the carb and all for me, that is why I can at least get a day or two of driving out of it. He currently has the QJ and is rebuilding it. I ordered new metering rods today as the directions in the manual talk about doing for lean cruise. I will see if the rebuilt QJ does any better. I have a new mechanical pump that is a low pressure and appears to max at 5 or 6 psi. I also have swapped to E3 plugs to try and help if that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bedwards

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Silverado
Engine Size
That's soot. Running too rich or what plugs are you running? They don't look right.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Perhaps a dumb question- but are you sure the choke is opening and staying open?

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hei runs best on old fashioned copper plugs in my experience.I replaced my dist. and plugs,and wires to fix mine.And as of now I've rebuilt the qjet carb. Got a brand new 40+ year old truck now! Lol

Slink

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
305ci
That's soot. Running too rich or what plugs are you running? They don't look right.
I’m running E3 plugs which have helped keep it running a little longer to troubleshoot and make changes.

Slink

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
305ci
Perhaps a dumb question- but are you sure the choke is opening and staying open?
I have watched it and have not seen it close unless I’m not watching right or giving it enough time.

Slink

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
305ci
Hei runs best on old fashioned copper plugs in my experience.I replaced my dist. and plugs,and wires to fix mine.And as of now I've rebuilt the qjet carb. Got a brand new 40+ year old truck now! Lol
I started with auto lite plugs and am running 8mm wires on new HEI distributor. I tried to go back with as close to stock as I could.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I started with auto lite plugs and am running 8mm wires on new HEI distributor. I tried to go back with as close to stock as I could.

I'm running a MSD Streetfire dist. and Taylor plug wires.On stock engine.With the qjet 4mv carb

Slink

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
305ci
Ok, gents don’t know if I fixed it or not will have to drive again and see. I swapped out the metering rods in the edelbrock. I went stage two lean on cruise as the manual called it. I was able to run around for over 30 minutes highway driving city driving and back road driving. At this moment it is not showing any issues.

bedwards

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Silverado
Engine Size
I'd put a fresh set of plain copper AC Delco R45TS in it and run it for a 100-200 miles and post us pics then. They are the recommended heat range. I have had good luck with Accel plugs also.

Slink

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
305ci
I'd put a fresh set of plain copper AC Delco R45TS in it and run it for a 100-200 miles and post us pics then. They are the recommended heat range. I have had good luck with Accel plugs also.
Thanks [mention]bedwards [/mention] I will get a set and run them give it a shot.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Thanks [mention]bedwards [/mention] I will get a set and run them give it a shot.

Also, just so you can see proper choke operation(and because this video is cool as hell)... here is an old GM carburetor and choke description video
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Slink

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
305ci
Thanks to everyone that has posted. After changing the metering rods out in the carb I have been driving it for a week with out any issues. Some hesitation in the throttle but I’m driving and enjoying cruising every afternoon. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20