Ford Trash Talk Thread lol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
I mean... I routinely see SBC die around 150k. Not until the vortec 5.7 did I start to see more trucks in the 200k mile range.
Since the vortec didn’t really come out until 96 being the same year as Ford ended the 300. It’s kinda a moot debate. also comparing the 300 (old ass tech) to a 5.3 modern engine that’s just unfair.
like saying your new phone or computer is better than the ones from the 90s. I mean I’m sure your right and I’d agree. But let’s not compare new vs old here.

5.3 = 327 (close enough)
Been around way longer than its LS or vortec variants :p, 60's i think.

Btw, wtf? 150k mile sbc's,????

Someones not taking care of them.

Just about every vehicle ive owned had MINIMUM 150k on the clock.
(Except my burb, she had 330k on her, but the motor had/had 30k. )

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
I can vouch for my latest 283...the '63 sat on a hillside for 10+ years, possibly 15, brought it home, checked the oil and antifreeze, put a battery in and filled the carb bowl. Two cranks and it fires, lol.

I love my 4.3, theyre such an underrated motor
SO underrated.
When my blazer was on the road, id regularly wind it up to 5800 from 1st, and she KEPT wanting more
Admittedly, that *** a rebuild with much stouter components, more compression, cam, and larger bores, but even the stock motors... i swear by them.

If i had the TIME, id make the first ever high flowing billet cmfi 4.3 heads.

I have a CMFI 4.3 (pre LS vortec, still uses dizzy) , she flows ok, runs hard, but a ported set of billet heads would really wake it up.

Far as i know, brodix is the only mfg of aftermarket performance heads for the 4.3, and theyre for a carb intake.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
N
5.3 = 327 (close enough)
Been around way longer than its LS or vortec variants :p, 60's i think.

Just about every vehicle ive owned had MINIMUM 150k on the clock.
(Except my burb, she had 330k on her, but the motor had/had 30k. )
I agree. It is about taking care of the engine to get the high mileage. don’t get me wrong. I hate ford. I hate their smog ****, their love for vacuum lines and all kinds of other ****. But I have seen that 300 leak daily and the only oil change it got was the fresh oil in from the top as the used oil leaks slowly out the bottom and still fire.
The harmonic balancer on them is **** but overall the engine impressed me.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
You know what else can be beaten down and keep running?
Chevy small blocks.
4.3, 5.3, 5.7 namely, take your pick.
(Im in the minority of people that vouch for 4.3 because ive seen and heard people literally drain all the oil and coolant out of it and it wont quit)
While they seemingly have a power limit N/A due to lack of aftermarket components, i love 'em.
Constantly hear "you should swap your 4.3 for a 5.3 LS"

Noooooooooooooooooooo[

I've had a few S10s over the years with the 4.3, I got nothing bad to say except maybe fuel mileage but honestly who gives a **** when you have reliability and damn near V8 performance out of a 6cyl. Hell. I think the later model 4.3s I had only were like 10 less HP than my Suburban's 350

An '01 and an '03 with the MPFI Vortec, and a '92 S10 Blazer Sport with a TBI. None of them ever let me down even once besides the distributor in the '92 which liked to get wet and cut out when splashing around in mud. Left me stranded a couple times, but that's my own fault for being a cheap bastard and not fixing a simple issue.

The 5.3 is crap IMO. If you're gonna waste your time with an LS might as well get a 6.0L

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Absolutely Rob, when working on vehicle for a living, almost nothing ford designed made much sense. I will give them credit for the C6, toploader, and 9", everything else not so much

Ok, yes I have to admit a few good things came out of Ford, and I agree with your example.

I mean... I routinely see SBC die around 150k. Not until the vortec 5.7 did I start to see more trucks in the 200k mile range.

My current square is at 231K on it's 350. Setting aside all synthetic oils for a second, the one additional thing I will say is that standard "dino" conventional oil, got leaps and bounds better in the 80's and 90's. Mainly in their ability prevent deposit build ups, and to leave a film to prevent dry starts. So if we go back in a time machine for second in 1975, it was much more likely for any engine to wear out faster because of the oil that was around in those days. Another thing, anyone remember the awful deposits that Pennzoil use to leave behind, it use to be said it was small amounts of coal in the oil building up over time. I have no idea how true that is but I do know at least into the late 90's / early 2000's area we'd see engines all slugged up because of Pennzoil use. Surprisingly enough a poorly adjusted choke if left badly out of adjustment for to long can take a toll on engine life as well. A pull off not working can cause cylinder wall wash down at every cold start, do that over and over again and it can do a lot of initially unseen damage. A choke to lean might cause the driver to pump the crap out of the gas and then rev it excessively high to keep it running. Lot of variable for sure!

As far as the 4.3 thing is concerned, I worked at one point at a place that had a fleet coming to us with a bunch of Astro vans, and unlike most fleets these guys took care of their rigs. They had many make it to high mileage 200K+, the biggest down fall to the 4.3 IMO was the spider injection. and the flat top distributor caps had issues with the cheaper aftermarket ones but those issues were not exclusive to the 4.3.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Ok, yes I have to admit a few good things came out of Ford, and I agree with your example.

My current square is at 231K on it's 350. Setting aside all synthetic oils for a second, the one additional thing I will say is that standard "dino" conventional oil, got leaps and bounds better in the 80's and 90's. Mainly in their ability prevent deposit build ups, and to leave a film to prevent dry starts. So if we go back in a time machine for second in 1975, it was much more likely for any engine to wear out faster because of the oil that was around in those days. Another thing, anyone remember the awful deposits that Pennzoil use to leave behind, it use to be said it was small amounts of coal in the oil building up over time. I have no idea how true that is but I do know at least into the late 90's / early 2000's area we'd see engines all slugged up because of Pennzoil use. Surprisingly enough a poorly adjusted choke if left badly out of adjustment for to long can take a toll on engine life as well. A pull off not working can cause cylinder wall wash down at every cold start, do that over and over again and it can do a lot of initially unseen damage. A choke to lean might cause the driver to pump the crap out of the gas and then rev it excessively high to keep it running. Lot of variable for sure!

As far as the 4.3 thing is concerned, I worked at one point at a place that had a fleet coming to us with a bunch of Astro vans, and unlike most fleets these guys took care of their rigs. They had many make it to high mileage 200K+, the biggest down fall to the 4.3 IMO was the spider injection. and the flat top distributor caps had issues with the cheaper aftermarket ones but those issues were not exclusive to the 4.3.

That spider is rather ******. I replaced mine maybe 5 years ago.
Yikes what a cost...

However my distributor isnt the flat top style.

Sauc3r

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
7.4L 454
I don’t have any issue with this. Then again I’m not a Ford lover persay. GM is my jam, so you’ll never hear me complain. Do have a couple Fords, I always love makin fun of them, especially their absolute junk cars. Never, ever have had luck with them, just blow them up. Only have luck with the trucks. For instance I have a 98 Explorer I beat the absolute crap out of and just put mile after mile on it, and it’s always got me home.. Knock on wood! Just rolled over 280k. Other is a 95 F150, and I had to push it home lol bad trans. Both of these have 5.0L in them!

You must be registered for see images attach

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
5.0.. so sad.. if you had 4.9l we could be friends. inline 300 is a beast. small block ford, 302, sure its not bad but its definitely not the best option that could be had in those years

Gene King

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I sold this POS 2 weeks ago, is a '95 with the 300 straight 6 and mazda 5 speed gearbox, 1 tire fire. Don't let how photogenic it is fool you, it's a son of a bitch. Had a factory alarm system buried in the dash that would make it no crank whenever it felt like, big round seatbelt bolts with tiny torx drilled into it that were held down by the wrath of God, the coil spring perches in the front had almost completely reverted back to soil because they hold salt and crap. It was the quintessential "Pavement Princess", could hardly get out of it's own way.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
my 96 f150 is doing great but its low mileage, was kept care of, has barebone options, 2wd, and is used for truck things and I dont put the miles on it. so even tho its tall geared for the engine, it still does well. but posi and a lower rear ratio would help it tremendously

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Since the vortec didn’t really come out until 96 being the same year as Ford ended the 300. It’s kinda a moot debate. also comparing the 300 (old ass tech) to a 5.3 modern engine that’s just unfair.
like saying your new phone or computer is better than the ones from the 90s. I mean I’m sure your right and I’d agree. But let’s not compare new vs old here.
Everything dodge, chevy, Ford, 100k is when most people sold them, before they started burning oil etc. Fuel injection is what is what changed the game.Better fuel control, so less cylinder wash, less running a rich mixture for the first 15 minutes when cold, less contaminants in the oil. All these things made engine life skyrocket, whether it's tbi, tpi, vaf, etc.

Sauc3r

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
7.4L 454
5.0.. so sad.. if you had 4.9l we could be friends. inline 300 is a beast. small block ford, 302, sure its not bad but its definitely not the best option that could be had in those years
Oh yea I had an old 82 with one of them. Got it stuck in a field, ended up tearing up the transmission mounts, and one of the motor mounts and it was still going. Ended up turning red before I got it home.

Sauc3r

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
7.4L 454
Oh and I’ll just leave this here. It’s currently 3 degrees, feeling like -14 according to weather app thingy. My Explorer is wanting to start overheating some ******* how in that temp lmao. I did get to make way for just about everyone else. Which was fun.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes