Foamy Tranny Fluid!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
The governor is inside the round dome cover on the driver side of the case. Use a screwdriver and light hammer to tap the cover off. The governor will slide right out. It's not spring loaded or anything like that and easy to do. Straight forward process. It will be normal to lose up to a few tablespoons of fluid when you take the cover off.
Then I'll just be checking for any damaged teeth on it?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Then I'll just be checking for any damaged teeth on it?

Yes, damaged teeth on the plastic gear, and also look inside the valve bore through the slots and make sure the valve itself is free and can move back and forth. With the weights in the valve is down, with the weights open the valve goes up, if your holding the governor with the gear toward the sky.

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
Just an update. I bought an aluminum pan and a new vacuum modulator. I installed them and put new fluid. I was unable to start my truck due to a dead battery. the last time I drove it around the block I was able to shift it by letting off the accelerator. I'm hoping the tranny is still good and that the next time I take it out with the new fluid and the new modulator it will shift correctly. Wish me luck while I'm driving down the road in my unregistered truck!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So you still have the Th350 in it? Did you ever get that Th400 / NP205 Combo installed in it?

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
Yes I still have the Th350 in it with the option to buy a Th400 if needed plus my coworker still has the Th400/NP205 setup but now he will give it to me for free if I go pick it up. I just don't have the time or money to put into modifying drive lines and buying adapters and such. Ideally I'd just like to be able to drive it, I've had it for 5 or 6 yrs now and haven't been able to drive it. I also bought a 77 Chevy Suburban and a 80 Chevy G10. I've been driving the G10 but the Suburban needs work as well. So as to be fair to my truck I want to finish it and drive it!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76