Foamy Tranny Fluid!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
Yes this was the first fluid change I've done on it, and to top it all off the last person that changed it, before I bought it, put the gasket under the filter on upside down and backward so that one of the two holes was covered. That couldn't be good! Hope my tranny is still ok!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
@CSFJ For sure! I need to drain some out and try again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Did you get this figured out yet? What ended up being wrong?

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
Still don't know yet but it won't shift into 2nd. the only gears I have are low 1 and reverse.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Turbo 400 right? I have a feeling you're having a fluid blockage somewhere. Cooling lines or radiator cooler or something of that nature. I say that because of the fluid foaming and not shifting.

On a Th400 for a no shift, I'd normally suggest, check the vacuum modulator is hooked up properly. Next, check the governor to make sure it's not got a stuck valve or broken gear on the end of it. You should probably check those anyway. Maybe we're going about this backwards, and it's one of those things that are wrong and causing the fluid to foam.

So did the trans work OK, then you changed fluid and filter and now it don't shift and foams the fluid? Is that when the problem came about? Or was the problem there already and you tried to fix it with a fluid and filter change?

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
It's a TH350. It did have the filter gasket installed wrong when I changed the fluid. I pulled the pan and took the filter off to find the old gasket blocking one of the holes. I also found the bottom of the pan covered in a black film. The kick down cable is not and was not connected. The vacuum modulator was not connected at the top of the motor. I connected the vacuum hose to the manifold and bought a bracket for the detent cable. I do have a Edlebrock carb and it has a accelerator cable bracket but didn't have a place for the kick down. I bought a bracket for the kick down cable but after reading up here on Squarebody it may not work? it came from a 76 GMC. I've never driven my truck except to move it around my yard, it was towed to my house. It was someone else's project that I was happy to take over! I did however drive it after I changed the fluid and filter on the tranny, that's when I figured out that it wouldn't shift. That is also when I figured out that the kick down wasn't hooked up and the vacuum wasn't hooked up. I connected everything and tried to drive it again and it still didn't switch gears. I still hadn't drained any of the extra fluid yet at that point. My question now is, if I drain some of the fluid, check for any blocked lines, check the governor and connect the detent cable will it work?!?

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
But it did work fine up until you did the primary fluid change? The black film on the bottom of the pan after you pulled it back apart scares me. That is probably burnt clutches. But, let me think about what else it could be. I find a bit hard to believe a Th350 could have committed suicide that quick without fluid pressure.

The detent cable NOT being hooked up will NOT hurt anything on the Th350 unlike the 700r4 having to have the TV cable connected and adjusted properly. Also, the detent cable geometry on the carb linkage is not near as critical and you can simply adjust the cable to your desired shift points in most cases and be just fine so long as it's not way far off and usually it isn't between the carbs I'm aware of.

Vac Modulator also will NOT hurt anything other than keep the trans from shifting from 1-2 or 2-3, but nothing will burn up without it being connected to vacuum.

Kind of has me stumped buddy. So how long did you let it run or how far did you attempt to drive it with the filter gasket on backwards? That's pretty hard to do btw. I'm really wondering how you managed to do that. So are you using the yellow dacron cloth type filter, or the silver screen type filter?

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
But it did work fine up until you did the primary fluid change? The black film on the bottom of the pan after you pulled it back apart scares me. That is probably burnt clutches. But, let me think about what else it could be. I find a bit hard to believe a Th350 could have committed suicide that quick without fluid pressure.

The detent cable NOT being hooked up will NOT hurt anything on the Th350 unlike the 700r4 having to have the TV cable connected and adjusted properly. Also, the detent cable geometry on the carb linkage is not near as critical and you can simply adjust the cable to your desired shift points in most cases and be just fine so long as it's not way far off and usually it isn't between the carbs I'm aware of.

Vac Modulator also will NOT hurt anything other than keep the trans from shifting from 1-2 or 2-3, but nothing will burn up without it being connected to vacuum.

Kind of has me stumped buddy. So how long did you let it run or how far did you attempt to drive it with the filter gasket on backwards? That's pretty hard to do btw. I'm really wondering how you managed to do that. So are you using the yellow dacron cloth type filter, or the silver screen type filter?
I've only driven it a couple of times, once to move it around the corner from the back yard to the front, and a couple of times moving it around the yard. I did however spin the tires a few times just to see if it would. Looking back now I wish I wouldn't have. I havethe yellowish type filter now and that was the type that I removed when I changed it. I actually found the filter gasket installed wrong by the previous owner which also stumped me.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And just to make sure cuz I'm not sure I ever read it in your response. The transmission was working fine before you changed the fluid and filter?

So you have the Dacron filter. I actually like those better than the screen filters. Both work well though.

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
Sorry, no it didn't work before I changed it.I just didn't know because I only drove it around my yard but thinking back on the times that I did drive it around the yard, it felt like it had granny gear.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
OK OK... Soooo you're saying you bought the truck this way without the transmission working. Here's the deal. The transmission was probably bad already. The previous owner did a trans fluid and filter change thinking that would save the transmission just like everyone else thinks. Therefore the transfluid didn't look all that bad. You're saying he put the filter gasket on wrong. That most likely blocked the intake from the pump or at least partially blocked. I really don't see how someone does that, but nonetheless it was done. You later pull the pan and find a black film on the bottom of the pan. The new fluid pretty much just rinsed out bad worn and/or burnt clutch material out of the drums and tunnel and it settled in the pan as the fluid was circulated.

Now that I know this, I'm going to go out on a limb, and not real far either, but going out on a limb and say the trans has some burnt clutch packs in it. And really can't say since the previous owner changed the fluid, there's no telling what was in the bottom of the pan when he changed it. It could have been a fist full of metal shavings or chewed up parts, so I won't go out on a limb and say it just needs a basic rebuild kit and be good as gold. It might be very well have some broken hard parts in it, like a broken intermediate roller clutch or sprag gear.

I'll suggest options in another post after you digest reading the bad news above. Hate to be the one, but yeah, that's my best guess on what has happened here. It now all makes sense too. The black film you talked about was telling me the trans was bad as soon I read that. But I was thinking this was a previously working transmission, and you simply changed the fluid and it didn't work. So this is a recently purchased truck, bought with the transmission not working.

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
OK OK... Soooo you're saying you bought the truck this way without the transmission working. Here's the deal. The transmission was probably bad already. The previous owner did a trans fluid and filter change thinking that would save the transmission just like everyone else thinks. Therefore the transfluid didn't look all that bad. You're saying he put the filter gasket on wrong. That most likely blocked the intake from the pump or at least partially blocked. I really don't see how someone does that, but nonetheless it was done. You later pull the pan and find a black film on the bottom of the pan. The new fluid pretty much just rinsed out bad worn and/or burnt clutch material out of the drums and tunnel and it settled in the pan as the fluid was circulated.

Now that I know this, I'm going to go out on a limb, and not real far either, but going out on a limb and say the trans has some burnt clutch packs in it. And really can't say since the previous owner changed the fluid, there's no telling what was in the bottom of the pan when he changed it. It could have been a fist full of metal shavings or chewed up parts, so I won't go out on a limb and say it just needs a basic rebuild kit and be good as gold. It might be very well have some broken hard parts in it, like a broken intermediate roller clutch or sprag gear.

I'll suggest options in another post after you digest reading the bad news above. Hate to be the one, but yeah, that's my best guess on what has happened here. It now all makes sense too. The black film you talked about was telling me the trans was bad as soon I read that. But I was thinking this was a previously working transmission, and you simply changed the fluid and it didn't work. So this is a recently purchased truck, bought with the transmission not working.
Yes I bought the truck knowing nothing about it, had it towed to my house I never drove it and it sits in my yard as a project. I knew when I bought it that it would need some work to get it drivable. This gives me a chance to do everything and learn how to build a square.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yes I bought the truck knowing nothing about it, had it towed to my house I never drove it and it sits in my yard as a project. I knew when I bought it that it would need some work to get it drivable. This gives me a chance to do everything and learn how to build a square.

Good thing is a TH350 or TH400 are cheap at the wreckers and u can usually find one that runs ok for $100-$200

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Good thing is a TH350 or TH400 are cheap at the wreckers and u can usually find one that runs ok for $100-$200

This is true, but it is harder to find one that's for a 4x4. I'm pretty sure he'll have the NP203 Full Time Transfer Case being a 77.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA

Post up some pics of your tranny and transfer case

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody