Fleetside or stepside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Westislander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I know it’s a matter of personal opinion but I may have an opportunity to trade my 1985 shortbed box for a 1973 stepside box. Both beds are in good condition. I have always liked the way a stepside looks but keeping my truck whole is kinda cool too.... what are people’s opinions and experience? Is one more desirable or worth more than the other.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
People seem to like stepside better. I think short step side has wrong proportions unless it is lifted. Therefore I have only bought lifted short step side before and short wide side for 2wd.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I learned to drive on a 73 stepper, i have a soft spot for them. I like to keep trucks original but im in for the swap.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I had always wanted a stepside truck, so when I got my shortbed truck, I went on the hunt for a stepside bed. Nothing against the fleetside at all, I just wanted a stepside.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm putting a stepside box on mine, always liked the look, but it's whatever you like that counts.

If you swap beds, make sure that you get the fuel fillers and hoses, they are different, and hard to find for a stepside if you don't get them.

Westislander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm putting a stepside box on mine, always liked the look, but it's whatever you like that counts.

If you swap beds, make sure that you get the fuel fillers and hoses, they are different, and hard to find for a stepside if you don't get them.

Did they make a stepside with dual tanks?

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Stepside is going to give you more of a "old truck" vibe, but they are harder to keep spotless in a harsh environment (all the nooks and crannies collect dirt and rust). I used to repaint my tailgate and tail lamp brackets every year to keep them from getting rusty. I also had to add a separate ground wire after that so that the turn signals would work (the lamps ground via star washers through the bracket).

My stepside had no trim on the side, leaving you a bit vulnerable to door dings. The optional trim on the fleetside gives a bit more protection.

Fleetside box is going to give you a little bit more utility, since it will be wider*

K

*sidebar: our first truck was a '69 GMC stepside, with the chains to hold the gate. Our next truck was a '75 fleetside which, of course, had the internal latch and mechanism inside the gate. I remember thinking "Wow! they've come a long way in latch technology in the last 6 years!"

You must be registered for see images attach

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
My stepside had no trim on the side, leaving you a bit vulnerable to door dings. The optional trim on the fleetside gives a bit more protection.

Naturally, I used to park way out in the boonies (I still do) to avoid door dings.

I was at the mall one time and these two old ladies parked RIGHT NEXT TO ME for no apparent reason. I saw what was about to happen so, in slow motion, I yelled "nnnnnooooOOOOOO!!!" while diving between the two vehicles, with my hand extended to take the blow (which it did).

:mad:

I must have scared the daylights out of them because they wouldn't get out of their car until I had loaded up and driven off.

I managed to drive that truck for 6 years while only accumulating one door ding, which I was able to repair such that you could barely tell.

K

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Stepside is going to give you more of a "old truck" vibe, but they are harder to keep spotless in a harsh environment (all the nooks and crannies collect dirt and rust). I used to repaint my tailgate and tail lamp brackets every year to keep them from getting rusty. I also had to add a separate ground wire after that so that the turn signals would work (the lamps ground via star washers through the bracket).

Fleetside box is going to give you a little bit more utility, since it will be wider*

K

*sidebar: our first truck was a '69 GMC stepside, with the chains to hold the gate. Our next truck was a '75 fleetside which, of course, had the internal latch and mechanism inside the gate. I remember thinking "Wow! they've come a long way in latch technology in the last 6 years!"

Love that stepper!

Zoomalot

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado Shorty
Engine Size
350 Ram Jet
At the end of the day taking everything into account including "value", that can be researched, I vote Fleetside!!
I have in the past owned stepsides and they do have different maintenance and care issues.

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
i wouldn't have anything but a short step. makes it look like an old timer (like me)

elcamman50

Reaction score
First Name
charles
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I vote Fleetside. I have had my 79, Short bed, Fleet side since July of 79. Purchased it at Lamb Chevrolet here in San Diego while on leave to see my mom. Paid 3900 dollars for it. Big discount due to the 1980 models coming out in a month or so. Has: 350, 4 barrel, Turbo 350, A/C, pulse wipers, dual tanks, AM radio and Rally Wheels. It is the Big 10, Bonanza model. Only let me down once when the module in the distributor went out while on the freeway. Engine and tranny rebuilt twice. Rear end never has been opened. She has over 300,000 miles on her to date. Have been offered 4,000 dollars for her, but no sale. I am 68 and she will be with me till the end. Then go to my nephew who loves her. They do not build them like this anymore. That is a shame.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Looking at bed parts in LMC... seems like the stepside box will cost more than a fleetside.
if it was me I want both of the boxes...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64