Flaky CL MF ‘ers….

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
I have had great luck with Craig's list. All the stuff you guys just complained about is what I use to weed out the non serious buyers. First I always add a line to the end of my add to sort the stupid, it says "If you can see this add, the item is for sale. If you can't see this add it means it has sold." If I still get someone asking if it is still for sale I know to ignore them.

If someone tries to haggle on something they have not seen, I know they are not someone I want to deal with. If they ask stupid or irrelevant questions I ignore them. If they ask for ANYTHING out of the norm, I ignore them. If they ask for a payment method that is odd, I ignore them. I always have a back up story for the hagglers. I was selling a TV for $200.00, the guy asks me when he comes to look at the TV, will you take $100? I told him for anything less than $200 I would give it to the ex wife, and make her day. That stopped the negotiations and he handed me the $200. (I will donate it to my Church is another good negotiation killer)

I was selling a pellet stove, the first caller was a nice lady that asked about the stove. I told her I had people driving in from California and somewhere else this weekend to look at the stove. She said she figure they had priority, but if they didn't buy it she was very interested in coming to see it. I told her priority is the first buyer to show up with money, and it was not her fault that the other people couldn't come sooner. I told her she could come look at it that evening after work. She showed up with friends to help look it over, she bought it for the full $2200 without bothering to haggle, and was very happy to get it for that price compared to everything else she was looking at.

She also felt really good about her purchase because she thought she grabbed it before the other people got to look at it, I didn't see the harm in letting her feel good about her purchase. I even worked with her to help her order the parts she needed to do the exhaust piping.

So I have it pretty well mastered. The people will make it pretty clear if they are worth dealing with, just watch and listen for the clues. Ignore everyone that is even slightly out of the norm. You guys know what a normal purchase looks and feels like, if the person contacting you doesn't fall into that category, ignore them until Mr. normal contacts you. It takes patience, but not as much patience as dealing with the wackos that are not serious buyers.

SK 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
I have had great luck with Craig's list. All the stuff you guys just complained about is what I use to weed out the non serious buyers. First I always add a line to the end of my add to sort the stupid, it says "If you can see this add, the item is for sale. If you can't see this add it means it has sold." If I still get someone asking if it is still for sale I know to ignore them.

If someone tries to haggle on something they have not seen, I know they are not someone I want to deal with. If they ask stupid or irrelevant questions I ignore them. If they ask for ANYTHING out of the norm, I ignore them. If they ask for a payment method that is odd, I ignore them. I always have a back up story for the hagglers. I was selling a TV for $200.00, the guy asks me when he comes to look at the TV, will you take $100? I told him for anything less than $200 I would give it to the ex wife, and make her day. That stopped the negotiations and he handed me the $200. (I will donate it to my Church is another good negotiation killer)

I was selling a pellet stove, the first caller was a nice lady that asked about the stove. I told her I had people driving in from California and somewhere else this weekend to look at the stove. She said she figure they had priority, but if they didn't buy it she was very interested in coming to see it. I told her priority is the first buyer to show up with money, and it was not her fault that the other people couldn't come sooner. I told her she could come look at it that evening after work. She showed up with friends to help look it over, she bought it for the full $2200 without bothering to haggle, and was very happy to get it for that price compared to everything else she was looking at.

She also felt really good about her purchase because she thought she grabbed it before the other people got to look at it, I didn't see the harm in letting her feel good about her purchase. I even worked with her to help her order the parts she needed to do the exhaust piping.

So I have it pretty well mastered. The people will make it pretty clear if they are worth dealing with, just watch and listen for the clues. Ignore everyone that is even slightly out of the norm. You guys know what a normal purchase looks and feels like, if the person contacting you doesn't fall into that category, ignore them until Mr. normal contacts you. It takes patience, but not as much patience as dealing with the wackos that are not serious buyers.

100% agreed

I probably ignore 90% of the people who respond to my ads when I'm trying to sell something. It's just mind boggling how many stupid people are out there.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Not sure how I missed this thread earlier.

So if any of you hang out in the farming thread, you'd know the main farm income is egg sales, followed by chicks, then adult turkeys for thankgiving, and various other smaller stuff. Guess where our main advertising is done. Craigslist. At various times I've had guys, or organizations that purchased all my eggs and then resold them for example at farmers markets.

I had a gal that was doing just that. A month ago she missed a pick up and it's been crickets since. She'd been buying all my eggs for 2 years and reselling them at a farmers market and she seems to have vanished. So I advertise on craigslist and now have to coordinate a bunch of smaller egg purchases which is fine. What's not fine is when I have to throw away 10 dozen eggs, because people say they want to buy and then don't. If she'd have said she wanted out I could have transitioned to someone else, but just dropping the ball on a 15 dozen eggs purchase.... It's one thing when your selling a car part another when it's an expireable product.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Years ago, I was selling a '95 Caprice 9C1 on craigslist. Here are the first three responses I received:

-A guy who wanted to trade a rusted 90's Ford Explorer with a bad trans, plus a Playstation 2, and a Hi-Point pistol to sweeten the deal

-Some weirdo who wanted me to send them a video of a woman's feet, in high heels, stomping on the gas pedal....for an "art project" since their research showed that a Caprice doesn't have a center console, therefore no obstruction for a camera shooting from the passenger side

-Some pinecone who emailed me at 2am offering "300 cash rn....lmk now bc I wnt 2 buy smthn b4 goin 2 bed"

That pretty much sums up craigslist and FB marketplace. Selling any cheap vehicle seems to bring out all the mouth breathers and bottom feeders of society.
@SK 99 That last one was your brother!!!!!!

JeffH

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Apache
Engine Size
Yea, I try to peddle some stuff on Facebook Marketplace. Out of every 25 "is this item still availables" I get one that will actually set up a time to stop by and check it out. Out of every 5 folks that set up a time to check it out 1 will actually show up when they say they will. You just wonder what the is up with people...

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I was trying to sell a handgun once. Guy calls me at like 11 at night.

You still got that Glock? Yes. The ad is still up.
Whats the lowest you would take for it? Told him $50 less than I was asking.
Alright cool, where do you wanna meet?
Me- what, when?
Right now.

Was trying not to be rude although he was obviously a pile of trash that was trying to probably rob me.

I was like yeah I live a half hour out of town, I'm not driving to town(especially at midnight to sell a gun). He was like I got the cash, give me your address so I can come pick it up. Hahaha no thanks either you're not trying to rob me, or you are the dumbest criminal ever and are trying to rob me and literally want to come to my turf to do it(stupidest fight ever).

I was like yeah nah. What about tomorrow? No I'm leaving town tomorrow... huge red flag number 3.

I was like yeah I'm not doing it tonight dude. Then he was like what about tomorrow morning or some dumb **** like that.

Oh so you're not leaving town actually??? I just told the guy I'll let him know in like a half hour, and I hung up. Blocked the number and went on with my life.

That's why when I see people with their addresses in their ads, I'm just like what the hell are you doing. You're just advertising the items you have, along with whatever else is in the pic, all over the internet, then on top of it you're telling them where to go get it?!?!?

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
I'll add a line to my ads asking the interested party to include a phone number or where they are coming from. I'll follow up with phone numbers and the scammers don't bother to look up nearby towns to include in their responses, at least not in my experience.

Derick C.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
454/700r4
It's even getting hard to give stuff away now days.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
My cousin took a box of frosted flakes and relabeled it Craigslist flakes. I don't sell stuff on Craigslist anymore. Real deal had a guy call me once I'm on my way don't sell it.No show. Next day same caller I got busy yesterday I'm on my way now. I said first one with cash.He didn't show some lady did and just assumed I was going to take whatever she offered,when I said no and wasted enough of my time go away.She got real bent out of shape,her husband started calming her down and he gave full asking price and left. Poor guy,I feel sorry for him.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Years ago, I was selling a '95 Caprice 9C1 on craigslist. Here are the first three responses I received:

-A guy who wanted to trade a rusted 90's Ford Explorer with a bad trans, plus a Playstation 2, and a Hi-Point pistol to sweeten the deal

-Some weirdo who wanted me to send them a video of a woman's feet, in high heels, stomping on the gas pedal....for an "art project" since their research showed that a Caprice doesn't have a center console, therefore no obstruction for a camera shooting from the passenger side

-Some pinecone who emailed me at 2am offering "300 cash rn....lmk now bc I wnt 2 buy smthn b4 goin 2 bed"

That pretty much sums up craigslist and FB marketplace. Selling any cheap vehicle seems to bring out all the mouth breathers and bottom feeders of society.
Totally off topic, but whatd your caprice look like, and how much you sell it for?

I also have a 95 caprice 9c1

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I posted a pic of an ochre and white C20 for sale locally in the other thread.
Something I’d actually jump on since it was/is virtually identical to my dads old 74 back in the day.
Sent a FB message. No reply for a few days. Send another polite message 2 days ago.
BTW included my phone number. Said call me, got questions.
Saw this morning I got a response last night around 9pm. “Have a list of people waiting to see it. Will let you know”.
Wtf does that mean anyway?
This morning the add is “sold.”
Flaky mfers….

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey