Flaky CL MF ‘ers….

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Doin a little liquidating of stuff. All good chit.
Like a new wdh for a camper, popular truck parts, a mower etc.
Scammers aside…that’s to be expected, wtf is wrong with people?
Guy want to come get a part I’m selling. First question is “will you take $***” via text.
Sure, it’s a Dick move but I get it. So I say yes, I’d come down the $50 from asking price.
Several messages later, he lives nearby, wants to come in the evening. I say after 6pm.
He says cool. I text him after 5 w my address saying will be home at 6.
End of conversation…. Wtf. Not like this is a big purchase and not something you’re shopping for 10 different ones….haven’t heard back.

The mower. Get a email w guys number to call. Want to see it blah blah blah. First, my number is listed. Call or text me… second, I call him back like 8 hours after he emails me (cause I didn’t see it). And he’s in Montana won’t be back for 2 weeks! MFer had to be headed east when he emailed me based on the timeline…
And the host of other dill bags…. How fast does it mow? Idk come over and mow my ******* lawn and decide for yourself. I’ll let you do it for free and buy the gas!
Or I can buy a new one for $xxxx. Good for you. Go buy one. This one, new, is be 400% more than what I’m asking and half the price of the tin can mower you’re telling me about.
Ok rant over.
Almost.
Weight dist hitch… brand new, half price. Everyone thinks they need one…should be a slam dunk right?
Only call I get is “will this fit my camper?” Idk what’s your camper? Well it’s a 2008 Blah blah blah.
Me: What’s it weigh? Them: I don’t know. Me: Then I’ll say yes, absolutely. Come get it! *******…

Last edited:

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I hear ya man. Its almost painful selling stuff these days. Add says first 50 cash takes it. Buddy shows up hour late then says ill take it will you take e transfer. Wtf no go to the bank and get me cash so I don't have to go to the bank and get cash for what I want to buy.

Or the question does it work? When the add says runs great starts on first pull. Or ill say works good just don't need 3 of them give me 20 bucks not dicker 10 when there 50 new.

Sure there's some good ones out there who say hey I'm just out of town can I come get it on Friday ill send you a deposit which I don't like doing cause what of he don't like and then I got to send his money back. They text on Friday I'm in town can we meet. Wham bamm beers for the weekend.

pnwnvrdn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
SBC
I hear you, but there also are a lot of "flakey sellers" on CL.
Buying and/or selling can test your patience these days..shame.
I will say as a buyer, and as a seller the majority of people I've dealt with, have been pretty stand up people (luck of the draw, I guess).

GXPWeasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
1982 | 2015
Truck Model
Sierra C15 | Silverado Z71
Engine Size
5.0 | 5.3
I'm with you Grit Dog.
I don't even like listing on CL anymore. It takes more time weeding through the BS purchasers that "want to buy now, give me your bank account so I can transfer the funds" than it's worth sometimes. Fortunately, it seems pretty easy to get through those without being taken to the cleaners. It's just time consuming. I've found if I push back a little bit at all, the real buyers are fine with it. The scammers are gone before I can hit send.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I always answer the “Will you take $*** for it?” with “Sure, but not today. Hit me up in three or four weeks and if I still have it it’s yours.” That usually thins out the herd and if someone is serious they’ll come back with a better offer.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Its as bad at a garage sale.....$10 item marked 50c..."will you take 25c?"

If 50c upends your world, just take your sign and go back to the off ramp.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I hate selling stuff now, it's such a PITA. People literally want to be spoon fed everything and get it for free.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
A lady called and haggled me down from $75 to $50 on an item, and then said she lived too far away to come and pick it up. She offered me $25 if I’d deliver it! Pretty slick attempt at getting me to work for my own money.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
The local swap meet is really bad, people expect everything for free, or else it's an expensive item in good shape at a fair price and they want it for next to nothing, with a guarantee, PLUS they ask if I will deliver it, they only live 20 miles out of town.

I get so mad at the idiots, I put a fair price on everything, and when they offer me less, I tell them a price higher than the item is marked. They say "But you have it marked XXXX," My response then is "well, does XXXX sound better now?"

I have also told many people I am not there to give my stuff away, and if it doesn't sell at a fair price, I will take it to the range and use it as a target. And I HAVE done just that.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I always answer the “Will you take $*** for it?” with “Sure, but not today. Hit me up in three or four weeks and if I still have it it’s yours.” That usually thins out the herd and if someone is serious they’ll come back with a better offer.
That's my line as well. Maybe people don't know that etiquette, but if I list something for a "fair" price (you always cook in a few bucks to haggle) and same day some a** hat asks if you'll take half price...that aint cool.
Cars are the worst to buy, because 99% of people google the most expensive (fillin the blank) on the internet and then think their chit box is worth the same...or a solid 50+% have watched enough episodes of Ass Monkey Garage that they think they're Richard Rawlins ballin on a homeless persons budget!

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
Most people "conveniently" forget that when they sell a used vehicle, it WILL need some work or repairs, often expensive, and don't allow for that when arriving at their asking price.
I have a (maybe bad) habit of when I test drive a vehicle I am looking at buying, I look and listen to everything, I have a real good idea what it needs and what that'll cost to fix, and calculate my offer accordingly.
Some folks take serious offense at that method, so i walk away and hope the sucker that buys it at the inflated price knows what he's getting into and can do the repairs.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Most people "conveniently" forget that when they sell a used vehicle, it WILL need some work or repairs, often expensive, and don't allow for that when arriving at their asking price.
I have a (maybe bad) habit of when I test drive a vehicle I am looking at buying, I look and listen to everything, I have a real good idea what it needs and what that'll cost to fix, and calculate my offer accordingly.
Some folks take serious offense at that method, so i walk away and hope the sucker that buys it at the inflated price knows what he's getting into and can do the repairs.
10-4 exactly the same here. I got a mental adding machine going the entire time I'm checking out a used car.

SK 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Years ago, I was selling a '95 Caprice 9C1 on craigslist. Here are the first three responses I received:

-A guy who wanted to trade a rusted 90's Ford Explorer with a bad trans, plus a Playstation 2, and a Hi-Point pistol to sweeten the deal

-Some weirdo who wanted me to send them a video of a woman's feet, in high heels, stomping on the gas pedal....for an "art project" since their research showed that a Caprice doesn't have a center console, therefore no obstruction for a camera shooting from the passenger side

-Some pinecone who emailed me at 2am offering "300 cash rn....lmk now bc I wnt 2 buy smthn b4 goin 2 bed"

That pretty much sums up craigslist and FB marketplace. Selling any cheap vehicle seems to bring out all the mouth breathers and bottom feeders of society.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84