Finding engine year off engine code?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Bextreme04,

Would the ram horn type, not so much that particular exhaust but my '74 exhaust didn't look like these, mine was more like the old ram horn type with the down part was in the middle on the drivers side and in the back on the passengers side, exhaust manifolds fit this motor, was there any changes to the bolt hole pattern no matter the heads?

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
See how the cross tube is right up next to the valve cover? That reminds me of those dang "log" exhaust manifolds on Dodges where the cross tube was right on top of the valve cover. Bad design! Heat where heat doesn't need to even be near, let alone right over the side of the valve cover. There's no way the whole upper side of the top of the head and valve cover, it's gasket, and whatever else was there is hot, hot, hot! Any setup like that begs for a set of headers!
I don't see how the engineers thought that was a good design. Like, what happens when the exhaust is red hot? Massive engine compartment heat on each side right up against the hood and everything on each side!

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
See how the cross tube is right up next to the valve cover? That reminds me of those dang "log" exhaust manifolds on Dodges where the cross tube was right on top of the valve cover. Bad design! Heat where heat doesn't need to even be near, let alone right over the side of the valve cover. There's no way the whole upper side of the top of the head and valve cover, it's gasket, and whatever else was there is hot, hot, hot! Any setup like that begs for a set of headers!
I don't see how the engineers thought that was a good design. Like, what happens when the exhaust is red hot? Massive engine compartment heat on each side right up against the hood and everything on each side!
I don't think those are the stock manifolds for the truck. Those look like passenger car manifolds, and they end up that way because the engine bay is so tight.. not because its the most efficient design. The ram horns were mostly for the corvettes and that was because it was the most efficient design they could get into that tight of an engine compartment while still having them be able to be cast and mass producible. Its always a trade-off.. they can't afford to have every one of them come with a high flow, hand-built, long tube header.

BillK

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
What is the block casting number on the back right near the distributor ? A lot of people dont realize it but there were actually carbureted versions up until 1988. Thats probably what it is.

BillK

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
I don't think those are the stock manifolds for the truck. Those look like passenger car manifolds,
Those manifolds were definitely used on trucks. My 85 K5 Blazer had them.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Those manifolds were definitely used on trucks. My 85 K5 Blazer had them.
Interesting. I wonder when they went to the "up" style manifolds then. My 1980 350 manifolds don't look anything like that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dan87r10