figureing out th350 leak.(front)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
not sure who they get em from. They run $80 a piece at the local stores, but I think the guy that screwed us over got a daaco for like $40-50 or so.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've never had a problem with a Dacco rebuilt unit. Our local trans parts supply house stocks Dacco. I'm sure if they weren't any good, they'd have switched to another brand long ago. This is the place all the local trans shops get their converters from. To many returns, I'm sure the trans shops woudln't buy them.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
might test this thing tomorrow, first off let me be sure here....

to air test, I need to put an air nipple in one of the cooler lines, which will work perfect if I remove the fitting from the trans that the line goes into the air nipple screws right into the trans perfectly.

2nd. I HAVE to plug the other cooler line right? Well I got some plugs that come in radiators when new, just for the cooler lines, so that fits perfect.

I know the seal and tc must be in place and hold against the tc(tc = torque converter)
The dipstick is in place and bolted to the trans bellhousing, the yoke is in the end of the trans/tailshaft. I had an old yoke only and threw it in there.

So I'm set right? just slap around 25 psi to the air nipple and look for leaks while holding the tc in the trans?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
you may want to hold in the tailshaft yoke too, it's lighter than the tc and may pop out. As for the rest I'm not sure but it makes sense to me to plug the other line.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I thought the same on the yoke, might ratchet strap it to the bellhousing.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
ok finally got around to checking this out some.....

now I had to do it by mouth and not air compressor but still here goes...

I plugged it off and put in an air nipple in a cooler line, new front seal and torque converter back in etc. When I first blew on it I heard air leaking after it got some pressure built up, well it was coming from the vent up top on the DS on the case, so I vac. cap'd it. reapeat, air hissing again, came up through the dipstick tube, so I plug that off by hand with the dipstick out. Now I can blow on the hose I got hooked to the air nipple and it takes a bit and builds pressure, it does come out slightly not fast but slightly and I can hear it from somewhere, I have to recheck when I get it up off the ground and have help so I can determine where this leak is coming from.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
This pressure test/leak finding mission is cool as ****. :High 5:

:popcorn:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
LOl I think so too. I kept thinking hmm I can use the compressor when I get it back or try it by mouth. I got bored lol. It almost worked too. I just have to pack it back around the car and throw it up on the 55 gallon drum so I can inspect and listen.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yah, if you had a compressor you can free your head to look around while it's under pressure, lol.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
got 2 of em, one my uncle has on the job, along with the ONLy hose i got lol. My big craftsman compressor is in the back room of my house. I just don't have a hose.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
got 2 of em, one my uncle has on the job, along with the ONLy hose i got lol. My big craftsman compressor is in the back room of my house. I just don't have a hose.

If you only have 1 hose, then you might be able to talk to a friend or neigbor, Have them sit on the Compressors fitting then wrap there mouth around the dipstick tube, then you can listen and watch for the leaks, After you find them Be sure to thank your friend and ask him if he has a ****** taste in his mouth lol

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
welp guess it was front seal only. if I hit it with 25 psi it comes out the vent up top and the dipstick where the stick goes in, but plug those two and you get nothing, no leaks or air coming out, it'll build up pressure and try to bubble out of the dipstick, you can hear it bubbling up in the dipstick when you don't have your hand over it.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:think:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
welp guess it was front seal only. if I hit it with 25 psi it comes out the vent up top and the dipstick where the stick goes in, but plug those two and you get nothing, no leaks or air coming out, it'll build up pressure and try to bubble out of the dipstick, you can hear it bubbling up in the dipstick when you don't have your hand over it.

Good News really. Be sure to check the converter hub for damage when you pull it apart. Something had to cause that new seal to wear out prematurely.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
everything looks alright to me. The way I see it, if it doesn't hold up this time he can find him another trans and torque converter. Then I might put it in for him or he'll have to find somebody else to do so.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DamnTexan77