Extra "puffing" in exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I finally got off my butt and recorded the exhaust on my truck today. Ever since I switched over to long tube headers and the glass packs, I've noticed this extra "puffing" sound added to the exhaust note. It's their during idle and off idle; but, goes away once the engine gains some RPM's. I am uncertain if this is just the way the TBI engines are supposed to sound or what.

I have also noticed a slight ticking under load. It's momentary and goes away.

Hopefully I am worrying for nothing. Thanks!

http://youtu.be/SB2T_qUUCF4

PS, Youtube is still processing the editing I did, so the video may not be orientated correctly.

*EDIT: I checked all around the headers, top and bottom, for leaks and none were found.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Glasspack in backwards maybe?

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Never thought about that. I'm certain I installed the glass packs with the flutes facing towards the engine.

The only thing I could think of is an exhaust leak, maybe wrong header gaskets? Did you have the exhaust welded together or did you use exhaust clamps? If you have it welded together maybe a weld didn't cover a spot and you're sucking in air

just a few ideas:shrug:

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The only thing I could think of is an exhaust leak, maybe wrong header gaskets? Did you have the exhaust welded together or did you use exhaust clamps? If you have it welded together maybe a weld didn't cover a spot and you're sucking in air

just a few ideas:shrug:

No, the system is clamped. I bought FlowTech headers, exhaust kit and their Purple Hornies glass packs. I was unable to use the whole exhaust kit. Only pipes I could use were the header pipes. Due to the weird angles produced by the header pipes, I couldn't use the rest of the pipes. So, this means the muffles sit underneath the head of the bed.

I felt around the gaskets and couldn't feel any leaks. All the header bolts at the engine are tight.

I'm gonna have a shop do up the system properly sometime down the road sinnce I can't seem to find a proper pre-fabbed kit for my truck.

Well, thought I see what opinions I'd get. Truck seems to run just fine otherwise.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
My exhaust does the "puffing" too I think it's a small exhaust leak somewhere.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
The only other thing I could think of is if the port style on the header is different than the port on the head as in square port vs round port

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The only other thing I could think of is if the port style on the header is different than the port on the head as in square port vs round port

Which style are stock TBI heads? The FlowTech headers I bought are round port.

If the heads and headers are mis-matched, is there a gasket I can get to correct it?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I finally got off my butt and recorded the exhaust on my truck today. Ever since I switched over to long tube headers and the glass packs, I've noticed this extra "puffing" sound added to the exhaust note. It's their during idle and off idle; but, goes away once the engine gains some RPM's. I am uncertain if this is just the way the TBI engines are supposed to sound or what.

I have also noticed a slight ticking under load. It's momentary and goes away.

Hopefully I am worrying for nothing. Thanks!

http://youtu.be/SB2T_qUUCF4

PS, Youtube is still processing the editing I did, so the video may not be orientated correctly.

*EDIT: I checked all around the headers, top and bottom, for leaks and none were found.

When installing headers on to a carbureted engine you can expect to have to re- jet the carb as the headers cause a lean condition.

If you have no O2 sensor to compensate for this condition, then you are most likely running lean which would explain the ticking under load.

Also re check your timing

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
When installing headers on to a carbureted engine you can expect to have to re- jet the carb as the headers cause a lean condition.

If you have no O2 sensor to compensate for this condition, then you are most likely running lean which would explain the ticking under load.

Also re check your timing

Just curious, did you not catch the part where I mention TBI? :shrug: I almost feel insulted.

Truck is not carb'd and sports a 4 wire O2 sensor. Timing should be fine as of January when the original died and was replaced at a shop. Truck performs fine as is. The extra noise goes away when it gets higher in the RPM range.

About the only thing the TBI needs done is that solenoid attached to the side of it lubed. RPM's will bounce up and down when given a slight amount of throttle.

Last edited:

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I would lean towards a small exhaust leak. Check the gasket at the header collectors. I discovered a small pinhole leak in mine and when I welded it shut, the puffing sound went away. The ticking sound, like mine...could just be a noisy lifter. I add an oils stabilizer product called risolene to my motor oil and it quiets them down. Round header tubes with square head holes...doesn't matter. As long as your gaskets are setting and your header bolts are not loose, you're fine. You might want to re tighten the header collector bolts as well. The heat cycles can loosen the hardware.

My truck is an 84, but my motor is from an 87 r10, tbi and I just finished up installing my headers.

The only snag I discovered with bouncng rpms...I had a bad spark plug. Maybe inspect your cap/rotor for wear...mine was bad.

Last edited:

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I would lean towards a small exhaust leak. Check the gasket at the header collectors. I discovered a small pinhole leak in mine and when I welded it shut, the puffing sound went away. The ticking sound, like mine...could just be a noisy lifter. I add an oils stabilizer product called risolene to my motor oil and it quiets them down. Round header tubes with square head holes...doesn't matter. As long as your gaskets are setting and your header bolts are not loose, you're fine. You might want to re tighten the header collector bolts as well. The heat cycles can loosen the hardware.

My truck is an 84, but my motor is from an 87 r10, tbi and I just finished up installing my headers.

The only snag I discovered with bouncng rpms...I had a bad spark plug. Maybe inspect your cap/rotor for wear...mine was bad.

Ive been told before that the air valve on the tbi can cause bouncy rpms if the solenoid is not working right. It goes away once truck has warned up.

As for cap and rotor, they were new in January when i had the dizzy replaced.

Like i said, i will have a shop do up the exhaust properly when i can afford it (soon). I dont have the tools or experience to weld it myself.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
exhaust leak

Sent from the dust in front of you!

MadOgre